PCI wireless card with win2k3 server?

Do you know any PCI wireless cards that work ok with windows 2003 server? Is Service Pack 2 for windows 2003 required? Please name some tested models - Any one from Linksys??

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
NetMasker
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 4 May 2007 22:02:18 +0300, "NetMasker" wrote in :

A guaranteed alternative is to use a wireless Ethernet (client) bridge connected to an Ethernet port. Buffalo makes a good one.

Reply to
John Navas

Personally I'd steer clear of PCI wireless cards on servers - they're going to end up at the back of the rack, surrounded by a shed load of metal and with really poor reception. John's suggestion of an ethernet client bridge is much more likely to work.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

You get what you pay for. But a PCI card might be adequate for the OP's purpose. Mine works well in the house (30 feet through 2 walls), was much cheaper than a wireless ethernet bridge, and makes for a neater installation. It picks up half a dozen neighbors, too.

I've had mine in three different tower cases with good results. The OP didn't actually say what kind of a case he has. But if there's any question about signal strength the bridge would be preferred.

Sadly though I had my PCI card in a computer with 2003 Server, I never tested it with that OS, so I can't answer the original question.

-- Joel

Reply to

I was assuming the OP was talking about a racked server - didn't occur to me he might have meant a standalone desktop with server s/w installed.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I meant a standalone desktop with server s/w installed. No rack, no production server. It is only for testing purposes and I want to connect it to an AP. So do you know any pci wireless cards with drivers that work with win2k3 ???

Reply to
NetMasker

I would suspect that most of the general big-brand cards (DLink, Linksys) would have no problem under W2k3.

I have a computer here running Win2k3 and it is using a DLink PCI (DWL-AG530) 802.11a/gb card just fine...

In fact, when I installed the drivers (WinXP/2K), I seem to even recall the installation giving a screen saying it was installing for Win2k3...

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.