Gateway Address

Hi,

I have a wireless network setup at my parents home (Dlink) with 1 desktop and 3 laptops. The desktop plus one laptop are wired to the router and the other 2 laptops are connected wireless.

Now I got a new laptop, which at home I connect directly to the modem and it works perfectly, however when I go to my parents place, I can't get it connected to the router.

It does get a valid IP address and the correct subnet mask, but the gateway address is always blank. Therefeore I can not connect to the internet. Even if I try entering the IP information by hand it will not work.

The strange thing is that this laptop works everywhere else, and the router seems to work with every computer except this one. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate.

Thiago

Reply to
Thiago
Loading thread data ...

You will probably need to describe a) the make & model of router b) the make and model of laptop,. and its wireless card c) the IP address of the router and that your lappy picks up. d) what happened when you manually entered everything.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Reply to
TeddyBare

What firewall are you using? If you are using Norton Internet Securities, you need to move the gateway to the trusted config.

Reply to
TeddyBare

Here are more information about my network.

Router is DLink DI-634M, configured to have IP 192.168.0.1 Laptop is Dell Latitude D620. Laptop picks up address 192.168.0.147 (wireless) 192.168.0.114 (wired). When I manually enter everything nothing happens, I can not even access 192.168.0.1 to try configuring the router. I can only access the router through the other computers.

Thanks for you help!

Reply to
Thiago

My computer has Symantec Protection Agent 5.1 installed. Do I have to put the gateway's address anywhere in order to be able to use it?

Reply to
Thiago

I realized that when I execute ipconfig /all, the value of "Auto Configuration Enabled" is set to No.

It seems strange as it is set to obtain address from DHCP, shouldn't it be set to Yes instead? Could this be causing my laptop not to work?

How can I change that value? I tried going again and manually configuring then going back and setting to use DHCP, but the value of Auto Configuration will not change.

Reply to
Thiago

On 6 May 2007 14:25:13 -0700, Thiago wrote in :

Turn off _all_ security when troubleshooting.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.