Dell PDA with WPA2 ?

My bosses Dell PDA is running Windows Mobile 2003 second edition. He'd like to use it on our office Cisco access points, which are running WPA2. (pre-shared key)

Is there a hotfix available for Windows Mobile, like there is for XP (on service pack 2) ? I've had a look, but can't one just yet.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Emlynfluff
Loading thread data ...

Hello David, thanks for the reply.

My line of thinking was, the model of the PDA didn't matter, as it's the Windows mobile o/s that manages the wireless. Hence, I asked if you could get a hotfix, like you can for XP. Although WPA2 does its AES encryption on h/w, so I wonder if I need to find out if the integrated Wi-Fi card is WPA2 ready ?

The PDA is an X30.

Cheers, Stuart.

David Taylor wrote:

Reply to
Emlynfluff

Well, you're definitely in line to become the next boss. You're lack of specific model number is a clue that you're management material. Keep up the obscurity, vagueness, and lack of specifics and you'll be running the company. However, until that happens, little details like the Dell PDA model number are required.

There are 5 optional authentication options that can be used with Cisco WPA2 encryption. Be careful as some clients don't support all of them.

Not yet. Get your credit card ready:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The original plan was that AES encryption requires a hardware chip to do the number crunching. However, there have been numerous implimentations where it was done in software. For example, Microsloth does it all in software with:

formatting link

Excellent. The Funk software will fit in the X30 without difficulty. There may be other packages available. I suggest you post the same question in the forums at:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Dell make more than one PDA, care to offer which one?

If it's the X3i then you're out of luck, Dell don't plan on providing an upgrade for that one so you'll have to resort to paying money for a 3rd party supplicant.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Nope, Windows Mobile 2003 is implemented per device model and hence needs the right drivers/firmware update.

Like I said, X3i no support, I think there's support on Dells support website, I take it you've looked there already?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Interesting that Windows Mobile is implemented per-device.

Thank-you for the useful advice.

Reply to
Emlynfluff

Well different devices have different hardware (often just subtle changes) but still needs different drivers to cope, then each vendor adds on their own utils so it's not necessarily just a quick patch as the updates need to be vendor and device specific.

Bit of a bummer eh?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.