Help! My wireless network is down!!! ...well, sort of...

i work for a school. i'm running windows server 2003 & wmicrosoft exchange 2003. all workstations are xp based. we have 5 subnets on the campus, and yesterday morning the wireless portion of the network on just ONE subnet stopped working (the one with the DNS server & domain controller on it).

here's what i can see: all other subnets work normally. the machines which are hard wired connect to the network and internet fine. no abnormal protocols appear to be installed on the machines affected, nor are any of the typical ones missing. the access points appear to be functioning normally, and in fact do function normally, if moved to another subnet (at least, the one i tested did). the wireless connection in the Network Connections screen with a red X over it. in some cases, it will find "ghost" networks, but will be unable to connect to them. in other cases, it can connect, but windows xp tells me the is limited or no connectivity. but i can ping the WAP's & access their configuration pages ok.

we're using two WAP models: linksys WAP54g & orinoco AP-2000. power cycling therefore probably not the issue, esp. since we're talking about over a dozen devices.

lastly, all testable measures of DHCP indicate that it is working correctly (it runs off outr main server, which is the domain controller & DNS server as well).

i called linksys, and they suggested a firmware update, but that cant be causing the issue for all of them at once, including the orinoco ones, can it?

i'm at a complete loss! can anyone help!?!?!

Reply to
Christian
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.