No IE, but still access net

Are you using SP2? It has a firewall built in, and if you have another firewall (like zonealarm/norton/etc), it has problems with TWO firewalls active at the same time.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

My laptop can still 'see' the access point and shows a good signal, but Internet Explorer times out without displaying sites. OE also complains that it cannot connect, as does Messenger. On the other hand, Windows updates are successfully downloaded, and I can even use Internet Reversi to connect to opponents! Obviously then the laptop CAN access the net, but since yesterday when all was working fine somehow IE, OE, and other net apps have all lost their settings to connect. Hows that happened, and more importantly how the hell do I put it back! TIA

Reply to
md

What lan settings do you have in internet options? I think unless you actually own any proxy server, nothing should be ticked, I'm surprised Windows Update works if IE and Outlook express works, but who knows... are they set as work offline at all?

As all will fail if the option under 'file'is set as 'work offline'

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

You probably have IE set to "work offline".

Fire up IE6. Left click the "File" menu. Near the bottom of the list, you'll see a selection that says "Work Offline". If it has a check next to it, uncheck it and you should be back in biz. If it's not checked, on to the next guess.

DNS? Can you connect to a site using IP addresses instead of names? Try: 216.239.63.104

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
If IE6 works by IP address, then you might have a DNS problem. I'm gonna need some info on what operating system you're using and what updates were installed to do any more.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for all the info people, although Ive cured the problem (well, not quite, but I can make it not matter!). If I disable Norton Internet Security, only for literally as long as it takes to hit the refresh button in my browser, my home page displays. I can then re-enable Norton and surf away merrily without any problems, but as soon as I restart the computer the same thing happens and I have to turn off Norton, get a page, then turn it on again. Bloody computers... ;o)

Reply to
md

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.