WPC54G ssociates but no internet access

My laptop had no problems untill yesterday connecting to the internet. My Accesspoint/Router is Linksys WRT54g and my adapter is the Linksys WPC54g. It associates just fine but cannot access the internet. If I swap out the adapter for the Cisco Aironet 350 I have no problems accessing the internet. If I swap out for a NIC and connect to the D-Link Wireless Bridge, again, no problem accessing the internet. What gives? I removed and reinstalled the software and drivers and rebooted the Accesspoint to no avail. My operating system is Windows 2000 pro.

Marty

Reply to
Marty
Loading thread data ...

internet.

Linksys

rebooted

By rebooting, I assume you mean you did a factory reset? Have you tried powering off the PC, then the wrt54g, then the modem. Then take a short break and power on the modem, then the wrt54g and retry. Are you getting an IP address assigned?

Reply to
Airhead

Taking a moment's reflection, Marty mused: | | My laptop had no problems untill yesterday connecting to the internet. | My Accesspoint/Router is Linksys WRT54g and my adapter is the Linksys | WPC54g. It associates just fine but cannot access the internet. If I | swap out the adapter for the Cisco Aironet 350 I have no problems | accessing the internet. If I swap out for a NIC and connect to the | D-Link Wireless Bridge, again, no problem accessing the internet. What | gives? I removed and reinstalled the software and drivers and rebooted | the Accesspoint to no avail. My operating system is Windows 2000 pro.

Have you disabled Broadcast SSID? If so, try re-enabling it. Try changing your wireless channel (1, 6, and 11 are best) as someone else may be broadcasting on the same channel. If they are hiding their SSID, you won't see them. If you are hiding yours, they won't see you.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

I did not change anything on my accesspoint/router. One day my laptop with the WPC54g simply would not connect to my internet - associates but no internet connection.

If some> Have you disabled Broadcast SSID? If so, try re-enabling it. Try

Reply to
Marty

Taking a moment's reflection, Marty mused: | | If someone is using the same channel, why would the Cisco 350 and the | D-Link 810 be able to connect?

Possibly because they have different logic that is better equipped to handle channel overlap interference. Try changing the channel, and see if this corrects the issue with the Linksys.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

I had a similar experience with my WPC54GS card. I have Win2K Pro on my

laptop, befw11s4 router/access point, static IPs, no broadcast, channel

11, wep 128 bit encryption.

It appeared as though it was getting an internet connection right at

startup, but lost it once all of the startup apps/services finished

starting. I uninstalled the drivers, removed the adapter and rebooted.

I installed the Linksys drivers and then rebooted. I shut down,

installed the adapter and booted.

I had to then edit the default profile to use my static IP and

gateway/DNS IPs as well as the WEP 128 bit encryption settings. The

Wireless Network Monitor/configuration utility provided by LinkSys is

goofy, I had to put in the IPs a few times before they actually saved.

I also changed the fragmentation and RTS thresholds to 2304 (through

device manager, advanced network adapter properties) to match the

setting on the access point. Finally seems to be working properly.

I don't know what the problem actually was, but that's what I did

before I got it all to work. I had a work-around up to now -- when the

access point was found but no internet, I went into device manager and

changed the channel to a different, random channel. Applying this

seemed to reset the adapter and allow it to connect successfully.

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't.

Good Luck,

Tym.

Reply to
tymk

hi, i have a wpc54g on a dell latitude cpx h500t with win 2k pro. the ap is a sohoware wla-660 with 128bit wep enabled. i can connect just fine(associate and connect to the net). i am usin a linux box as a natted router. i would suggest that you do the following than just repeatedly reboot/power cycle your various devices.

a) how do you come to know that the wpc54g is associated? the wpc comes with a utility that sits in the system tray. whenever the machine starts up or when i eject and insert the card, i can click upon the icon in the system tray to bring up the configuration utility. It has three main tabs. the starting tab shows link information. It should say infrastructure with the signal strength and link quality bands showing adequate green bands. (try it by moving as close to the wrt or your ap as possible). If you do get the green bands then click on the button called 'more information'. this shows the various network specific statistics. my link info reads "state: connected ssid: outbackwifi channel: 6 security: wep network type: infrastructure ip address: 192.168.0.20 subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 default gateway: 192.168.0.1 dns:

202.144.115.4 mac address: mac-address-of-my-card" It is pertinent to note here that my access point does not have a built-in dhcp server so i gave my card a static ip address in the network settings box. if you are using the wrt, then you should enable dhcp to make life less complicated

b) if you dont get a similar output , then you will get a message "unable to connect to AP". c) Now click on the tab that says "Site Survey". d) here you will get a table and two buttons that say refresh and connect at the very bottom. click on refresh if you dont see the ssid of your access point. if you do see it, then click on connect. if you had enabled wep then it will pop out a dialog box that will ask you for the wep key (pass phrase or the hex key), static ip address (you can leave it at auto) etc. e) if your wep settings are correct, you should get associated with the access point. if your dhcp server is up and running then you should get a valid class c ip address. f) I would also advise you to start a command window by typing 'cmd' in your run window. in the black window that appears, type ipconfig /all. if you see either 0.0.0.0 or 169.154.x.x as the ip address then you can safely assume that your dhcp server isnt working and you need to set a static address in the same range as the lan portion of your wrt router. phew! that sure was long and i sincerely hope it worked!

Reply to
outbackwifi

I had the same problem with Linksys WPC54G- it said conected to access point but cant find internet. I called prod support and they said uninstall software. I uninstalled software and tried to reinstall it like tech man said to do and get this message WLAN Monitors and Drivers for the WPC54G are already installed. It would not let me go beyond that point. I think problem lies with my laptop.

Reply to
The Trucker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.