Connected to the wifi network, but cannot go to the internet

I have a desktop connected to the wifi router directly, which in turn connects to the DSL modem. I always can launch IE or FF, and I can get to the internet with no problem. On my wifi laptop, I can do this maybe 70-80 percent of the time. On some occasions, I would pick up my laptop, let it wake up and see that the wifi connection is (re-)activated, and see the systray message that says you're now connected. But, when I launch IE or FF, I am not able to connect to the internet. Sometimes I can do a "repair" sequence which disconnect, reconnect, acquire address, flushing cache and dns, and all is fine. At another time, the only way to get my internet connection back is by reboot the laptop. What is going on here?

Note that DSL modem and router must be ok as I can access the internet from the desktop when this happened.

Reply to
cmdrdata
Loading thread data ...

I have had it where if Windows controls the wireless it fails like this, but the manufacture of the NIC sometimes has utilities that work better (Cisco or others.) Maybe your NIC manufacturer has alternate software to control everything.

Reply to
jmDesktop

Are these browsers set to "automatically detect settings"?

Reply to
rieker

On 9 Mar 2007 11:58:41 -0800, "cmdrdata" wrote in :

I'm guessing weak signal and/or interference. See wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

Yes. Shouldn't I?

Reply to
cmdrdata

John, I have excellent connection, five bars. I can waked into the same room where the router is, within 3 feet, and I get the same problem when this condition happened. Remember that reboot somehow restore whatever is preventing me from accessing the internet. Printing to networked printer still worked. So connectivity to my network is not the issue.

Reply to
cmdrdata

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.