no VPN over DSL/PPPoE

Hi: I've installed SonicWall VPN Client on a laptop which can then successfully connect to the office's server if I'm connected to the Internet with Comcast Cable. However if I am at another site where the access if DSL DSL (with PPPoE) the connection is refused. The DSL modem is connected directly to the laptop; no router. I read elsewhere that a router is required to negotiate between the sonicWall and PPPoE protocols--? Any other suggestions?

--RA

Reply to
RAnderson
Loading thread data ...

Hmm: VPN protocol: is that SafeNet SoftRemote? That's what I see when I right-click on the SonicWall VPN Client icon in the icon tray.

Reply to
Robert Anderson

In article , RAnderson wrote: :I've installed SonicWall VPN Client on a laptop which can then :successfully connect to the office's server if I'm connected to the :Internet with Comcast Cable. However if I am at another site where the :access if DSL DSL (with PPPoE) the connection is refused. The DSL modem :is connected directly to the laptop; no router. I read elsewhere that :a router is required to negotiate between the sonicWall and PPPoE :protocols--? Any other suggestions?

Which VPN protocol are you using?

If you happen to be using PPTP, then there is a potential difficulty because PPPoE and the PPTP GRE packets both use forms of PPP.

I haven't figured out yet why this is a problem (i.e., why doesn't the GRE just get encapsulated at the DSL level). I also don't know whether it is a problem for SonicWall: I'm thinking of the Cisco PIX reference material.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Spend a little more money and upgrade to a tier of DSL service that does not require PPPoE

Reply to
Charles Newman

SoftRemote is Safenet's IPSec client.

So the protocol is IPSec.

Your problem is probably related to NAT on the way (Softremote supports NAT-Traversal, but I don't know if the sonicwall supports it) if you have problems at negociation time, and may be just related to MTU problems if some traffic goes trough the tunnel and if you just have problem with big IP datagrams....

Yvan.

Reply to
VANHULLEBUS Yvan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.