Netgear 802.11b wireless issues

I have a Netgear router (802.11b) hardwired to my desktop computer. I have another desktop computer with a wireless USB adapter and a laptop with a wireless card inserted. All are running XP Pro.

My desktop with the USB adapter consistently tests at 1.5 Mbps My hardwired desktop consistently tests at or above 2.0 Mbps My laptop, however, only tests at about 150-200 kbps

I use 128-bit WEP encryption and have the wireless connect specifically to my router name rather than any available signal (so as to eliminate picking up weak signals from neighbors).

I have tried updating the driver and changing the channels from default Channel 11 to Channel 6.

I tried using the USB adapter on the laptop and got the blue screen of death every time upon reboot until and unless I removed the USB adapter.

My laptop has a Broadcom somethingorother permanently installed but disabled. I can't figure out how (or if) I can delete it or enable it. I'm not sure if that's interfering with my Netgear card.

I've placed the laptop right next to the router to see if it's possibly an interference issue but that doesn't change the connectivity.

I even wiped the hard drive and installed a new version of XP Pro in case it was other software or corrupt security settings but that didn't help, either.

The connection reads as "Excellent:" on the laptop

Any ideas on how I can increase the performance of the connection with the laptop?

The only other symptoms that I notice (which may or may not be related) are (1) that there is sometimes a delay from when I click on the internet and the when it actually reacts to my click and (2) despite my home network configuration, I can't share printers or files over the network.

Any help of suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Patrick Fitzsimmons
Loading thread data ...

Anybody out there able to offer any hints on the problem below?

Reply to
Patrick Fitzsimmons

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.