Netgear WGR614 router and 2.4Ghz phone interference

Hi,

I have an older Netgear MR814 802.11b router which is hardwired to my desktop and I have a laptop which is wirelessly connected to my laptop. When I use a 2.4Ghz headset phone (Plantronics CT12), there are absolutely no issues

Recently I got a good deal on a Netgear WGR614 54Mbps 2.4Ghz router. It connects fine to my wired desktop and also there are no issues with the wireless laptop

However on oocasions I am getting dropped signals on the laptop when I'm using the 2.4Ghz headset phone. The 900Mhz cordless is fine, but I can't use it for extended periods, since it's just a cordless phone and not a headset

I called Plantronics and they suggested I power down the phone and power it back up again to pick up a different frequency. That doesn't seem to work

I called Netgear and they suggested I change the channel on the router. Previously it was set to 11. I was told that the 3 minimal interferance channels were 1, 6 and 11. With 6 being the optimal

I left it on 6 and it seems to have reduced the amount of interference and dropped signals, but it still happens. This is annoying since a dropped signal also means I'm kicked out of any network applications and if I'm in the midst of a network conference call, I have to interrupt my meetings and reboot

Has anyone faced this problem with the Netgeear router and what steps have you taken to solve the problem ?

As a possibility, I could return the headset and 'downgrade' to a

900Mhz headset i.e Plantronics CT10. I don't think I can do much more with the router settings, but let me know

I've resorted to dialling the phone as far away from the laptop as possible. That's ok to a degree, but if I'm close to the laptop (which I have to be) then the dropped signals seem to occur again. The router is upstairs and my calls are always taken downstairs, but I need to be close to the laptop when I'm using the phone

Help !!!

Thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard
Loading thread data ...

Richard, I'm having the same issues with my Linksys WRT54G router. It came set to channel 6. I couldn't use my Sony cordless system at all without immediately disconnecting the laptop. Changing it to channel 1 vastly improved the situation. Like you however, I still have some frustrating disconnect issues.

I'm starting to think the only answer is a 5.8 ghz phone system.

Jon

Reply to
zeppo

I had a similar problem with my Netgear WGR614 v2 router. The internet connections would freeze about 10-30% of the time there was an incoming or outgoing phone call on one of the cordless phones at home. And it was the router, since the website http://192.168.0.1 would be inaccessible.

Changing channels didn't help. Upgrading firmware didn't help. The only way to get internet service back was to unplug and plug the router's power cord each time there was an interruption.

Last night I bit the bullet and purchased a 5.8GHz cordless phone system to replace the existing 2.4GHz system. Today I got a rude surprise: the disruptions occurred when using the new phones.

Suggesti>Richard,

-- David J Ellis

7 Hampton Road / Natick, MA 01760 snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com
Reply to
David Ellis

David Ellis hath wroth:

Suggestion: Get a 900MHz phone.

A few 5.8GHz phones also use 2.4GHz in one direction. The handsets transmit on 2.4GHz while the base transmits on 5.8GHz. Not all 5.8GHz phones work this way, but some do. The AT&T 5830 and Vtech 5831 are some of these. Check the specs (if you can find them) or the FCCID web site to see if your phone is one of these.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.