Firewall

I have a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router. If this already has the firewall enabled, does that mean that I can safely turn off and keep off my WinXP SP2 firewall?

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

No. The hardware router will protect you from attacks from the internet, but not someone who might connect on your side of the wireless router. The hardware routers also don't stop anything outbound. The SP2 firewall does.

Reply to
dold

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXFirew.usenet.us.com wrote in news:d1a72j$e2t$ snipped-for-privacy@blue.rahul.net:

When did the XP FW have the ability to stop outbound traffic on lets say port 100, stop outbound to a remote IP, stop outbound by protocol or stop all outbound period? I don't think it can do it. It's got as much ability to stop outbound as the (no FW) NAT router.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Darn. Altogether confused. unpost...unpost. I thought it did. I thought I saw it. I don't know what I was remembering.

It's still valid to keep a firewall on any computer that is wireless, for attacks that occur on "your" side of the NAT router.

Reply to
dold

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXFirew.usenet.us.com wrote in news:d1as9a$tom$ snipped-for-privacy@blue.rahul.net:

Oh well, you can use this to supplement the NAT router or XP FW and it can stop inbound or outbound by port, protocol, IP, subnet or Domain Name.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane Arnold wrote in news:Xns961BBBF16FCA4notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17:

Actually it does prompt you when an unknown application tries to make an outbound connection.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Lucas Tam wrote in news:Xns961BF0EF6835Enntprogerscom@127.0.0.1:

That is called Application Control in a personal FW solution and is by no means the measure of a FW's ability to stop outbound traffic by port, protocol, or IP etc, etc. And in the traditional sense of what a FW or network FW is suppose to do, the XP FW has no means of stopping outbound traffic. Some people don't even consider a PFW to be a FW.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

That's what I remembered, but I can't recreate it, and I don't see any way to control a program.

Reply to
dold

At 22:05:23 on 16/03/2005, snipped-for-privacy@XReXXFirew.usenet.us.com delighted alt.internet.wireless by announcing:

You missed out "by default."

Reply to
Alex

alt.internet.wireless by announcing:

A hardware firewall can't differentiate between Port 80 traffic from your browser and Port 80 traffic from a hijack program. I prefer to have both a hardware and a software firewall (not windoze).

Reply to
AnthonyL

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.