Firewall running, but where???

I am running a desktop with WinXP Pro and I have Windows firewall turned off as well as ZoneLabs which is also installed. The funny thing is that Windows Security Center is telling me that Firewall is still "On". The thing is that I don't know of any other firewall on my desktop. Does anybody know how I can find this other unknown fire wall so I can turn it off? There is a firewall on my Linksys wireless router (WRT54G), but I turned that off too. (Can Windows detect this?)

The reason I want to turn the firewall off is because on my home network, my laptop can not ping my desktop and I suspect it is being blocked by this unknown firewall somewhere.

Thank you in advance for any responses to my question.

- Gene

Reply to
Gene
Loading thread data ...

It could be a mistake I don't know.

If there are personal FW(s) running on the NT based O/S, they will be running as a Service. You should go look at the services and see if something is running, as you'll see the XP PFW and ZA PFW services there and any other PFW solution.

? There is a firewall on my Linksys wireless

That one you should flat-out should leave alone and not mess with it.

(Can Windows detect this?)

No, the router and the software running on it is a standalone solution, which is not running with the Windows O/S and therefore the O/S is not detecting it.

It sounds like a protocol issue on the NIC's in a wireless situation with wire and wireless machines not being able to communicate.

I don't think it has anything to do with any type of FW solution, which you should leave the PFW(s) down behind the router, until you get things working.

I suggest you install MS's NWlink on the NIC's if they are XP machines and see if that works for you.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.