Free firewall

Hi Folks,

Looking for suggestions on a free firewall. I was using Zone Alarm and installed the update to version 7. I did not like the toolbar and email scanning feature. I uninstalled Zone Alarm version 7 and now I can't reinstall the older version or the newer one now. I have run through regedit to clean all references to Zone labs & zone alarm from the registry and still can't reinstall either version. Now looking for an alternative. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Later, Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm
Loading thread data ...

For what system and what scenario?

*uses physic debugging*

I presume you want a host-based packet filter for Windows NT 5.0 or higher. Try Wipfw or maybe Windows Firewall on Windows XP.

How does that relate to your question? Other than giving a hint what your OS is...

An alternative for ZoneAlarm as well? Heavily depends on which features are important to you: f****ng up the network, bloat, uselessness, frequency and nonsensicalness of messages, shiny blinking, how much money you're willing to burn / spent, vulnerability, overall brain damage....

If you need some warm and fuzzy feeling, then ry the following shell command: for /l %i in (0,0,1) do (echo "hacking attempt blocked!" & sleep 300)

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote, on 05/04/2007 6:44 pm:

You are so, so clever.

Reply to
Wilf

Malcolm skrev:

If you are looking for a free software firewall, why don't you try

formatting link
search for it there?

/Anders

Reply to
Anders

formatting link
- just type in 'free software firewall' - with or without the quotes.

Reply to
ArtDent

I am running Windows XP HE and just looking for "free firewall" is like asking for a problem if the web site is unknown.

Thanks

Later, Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

But then how is coming here asking complete strangers for advice really any different? Perhaps try googling for 'free software firewall reviews' instead? Try sites like PCMagazine or PCWorld?

Reply to
ArtDent

The problem is that all those are telling you marketing-driven bullshit. Here you might at least some opinions from people who know what they're talking about, especially those who're telling you what a firewall really is and what it can actually do.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

With WinXP SP2 you already have a firewall that has all features a host based firewall can have.

Reply to
Ulf Leichsenring

I used to use ZA until I got a Belkin wireless router, switch, firewall, dhcp server gadget and then ZA just didn't get any incoming nasties after that so I uninstalled it.

Reply to
Steve

It's not just the incoming nasties, but what you let leave your computer. IMHO, ZA is invaluable with this.

Shneor

Reply to
Shneor

What a nonsense. ZA can't do anything against malicious software sending out data, even though it tires to make the impression.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.