D-Link or not D-Link ?

I bought a D-Link DSL-904 (DSL-G604T + DWL-G122) but now my dongle does not work anymore. At the beginning it disconnected every hour after that every 5 mins ... now the 2 lights are always OFF ! I wanna buy a new dongle which works with DSL-G604T . Do I need a D-link new dongle or can i buy elsewhere ? Which are the best and less expensive dongle ? can be a big problem I have a USB1 hardware ? Thanks Gio

Reply to
pincopallo_it
Loading thread data ...

Contact DLINK and they will change it. I wouldn't buy DLINK again after a lot of trouble with those routers. My USB device has never worked with XP Pro.

Reply to
john

Hello, pincopallo snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.it! You wrote on 6 Apr 2006 23:58:41 -0700:

pi> I bought a D-Link DSL-904 (DSL-G604T + DWL-G122) pi> but now my dongle does not work anymore. At the beginning it pi> disconnected every hour after that every 5 mins ... now the 2 lights pi> are always OFF ! pi> I wanna buy a new dongle which works with DSL-G604T . pi> Do I need a D-link new dongle or can i buy elsewhere ? pi> Which are the best and less expensive dongle ? pi> can be a big problem I have a USB1 hardware ? pi> Thanks pi> Gio

Same config here, in fact it's a DSL-G664T (Annex B) and a DWL-G122 Vers B1 overhere. I would never buy anything from D-Link again. Support is OK, but hardware, drivers etc. is junk. The 664T mostly works well, but the G122 is a problem-device. Chipset is RA2500, and has hardwareconflicts with many computers.

Rest assured, you can use a dongle of any reasonable brand, 802.11g of course. Wether the USB1 matters a lot, I don't really know (I have USB2.0). Could be causing the problem.

With best regards, EDJO.

Reply to
EDJO

I have two DWL G122's working fine with USB1. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

After lots of trouble with D-Link 624S and the D-Link support staff, I would never buy a D-Link product again.

Regards Helmut

Reply to
hstamm

Any question like "[Brand X] or not [Brand X]" is sure to generate many negative replies against, well, "[Brand X]".

With the consumer stuff: DLink, Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, Hawkins, etc -- its all "junk", but its "junk that works". (Most of the time.)

I have DLink and Linksys (because I'm cheap), with praises and gripes for both.

Support? LOL. Forget it. Best to not even expect any, then you aren't disappointed.

Anyway...

Are you 100 percent dead set on having to use USB? Networking anything through USB is really more of a "kludge" than anything else. A PCI card (desktop) or PCMCIA/Cardbus (laptop) is much better, or if you don't have the internal room to spare, an external wireless/ethernet adapter to connect with a standard ethernic NIC. Nice thing with ethernet/wireless adapters is you don't have to screw around with drivers. Everything is self-contained. I got a couple that a use to hot swap around with between game consoles, stand-alone network printers, and even an old Sparc Sunstation that I fiddle around with. 100% PnP.

Reply to
Eric

I have three D-Links routers, two DI 624's and one DI-524. I also have a Linksys WRG 54g and an Actiontec 701. They all work through a DSL internet and perform router services on my LAN(s). I have a dwl-650 wireless card.

In my environment, D-Link is the best, Actiontec 2nd and Linksys last (-way- last). If all you want to do is hook up a simple home system, I don't think it really matters what you buy, netgear, dlink, linksys, what ever, but if you want to use a fire wall and map ports to perform specific server functions (VPN, Web Server, Email, PCAnywhere, specfic games, etc, etc) from the internet to more than one computer in in the LAN for the money the D-Link, even the cheap DI-524 has the others I own beat hands down. The linksys routers seems "stripped down" and inflexible, I suspect because Cisco doesn't want them competing with thier much more expensive and profitible Cisco routers.

Any way, if you have your dlinks working, keep them, they are as good or better than anything else out there in the same price range.

Reply to
Morty McSnerd

Agreed.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.