Linksys WRT55AG Ver.2

I made a very foolish mistake and purchased a Linksys WRT55AG Ver.2 router. I now realize the error of my ways :-)

I cannot perform a tracert using either tracert from the command line or using VIsualRoute. ICMP packets are blocked. VisualRoute tells me "There appears to be a firewall at hop 0 or 1 that is blocking incoming ICMP TTL expired in transit"

I have attempted everything that seems reasonable in the router configuration including disabling the firewall. Nothing has worked. I cannot do a trace route.

Linksys support has been totally useless in this situation. Web, voice and email support all get to the point at which the issue needs to go to a higher level, this higher level is a "black hole".

Does anybody have experience with this router? Could you suggest a way to enable trace route?

Reply to
DRLev
Loading thread data ...

How about the "DMZ" mode? Granted, if this works, only one machine in your network will be able to do this, but that's enough.

Reply to
D. Stussy

Bummer. Do you have a Linux machine or "live CD" handy? Linux treaceroute uses UDP ping by default. It can also do ICMP with the -I flag. Windoze uses only ICMP. Might be worth trying UDP.

Can you traceroute from your client to the router? If that doesn't work, then there's something busted on the client, not the router. Windoze XP SP2 firewall perhaps?

Not very thrilling output: C:\\> tracert 192.168.1.1 Tracing route to 192.168.1.1 over a maximum of 30 hops 1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1 Trace complete.

I assume you're using the 1.11 version firmware for WRT55AGv2:

formatting link
is a different (not later) 1.30 version on the international site:
formatting link
be worth a try.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks

That was one of the 1st things I tried. It made no difference.

| > I cannot perform a tracert using either tracert from the command line or using | > VIsualRoute. ICMP packets are blocked. VisualRoute tells me "There appears to | > be a firewall at hop 0 or 1 that is blocking incoming ICMP TTL expired in | > transit" | >

| > I have attempted everything that seems reasonable in the router configuration | > including disabling the firewall. Nothing has worked. I cannot do a trace | > route. | >

| > Linksys support has been totally useless in this situation. Web, voice and | > email support all get to the point at which the issue needs to go to a higher | > level, this higher level is a "black hole". | >

| > Does anybody have experience with this router? Could you suggest a way to | > enable trace route? | | How about the "DMZ" mode? Granted, if this works, only one machine in your | network will be able to do this, but that's enough.

Reply to
DRLev

OK. Then your traceroute program isn't broken.

Then it must be the Linksys WRT55AG.

Yeah, it would be interesting but doesn't really solve the problem. Actually, I don't have a clue what's broken. At this point, I would usually shove a hub (not a switch) between the cable modem and the router and connect a computer running Ethereal to do some sniffing. However, that will only verify that the ICMP packets are coming back from the server. Not very useful.

There are quite a few nasty comments about the WRT55AG in the DSLReports.com forums, but nothing specifically mentioning traceroute or tracert. The lack of comments on the topic imply that there may be something odd with your unit, firmware, setup, or ISP.

Some more things to try:

1. Reset everything to defaults and start over. Sometimes, garbage gets into the NVRAM settings that are cleared with a reset.

1. Try a traceroute backwards, *FROM* a traceroute (web) server back to your router. There may be a WRT55AG setting somewhere labeled "disable anonymous access from WAN" or something similar. That should NOT be checked. No clue where it's hidden on the WRT55AG. Then, try one of these traceroute servers:
    formatting link
    see if you can run traceroute back to your IP address. Oh wonderful. Firefox 1.0.3 crashed repeatedly when I tried to traceroute back to my IP address using:
    formatting link
    a different one (UC Berkeley) stops at my ISP's router. Looks like I've got a problem here or my ISP is blocking ICMP responses.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks

I can tracert anyplace within the home network.

If I connect my computer directly to the cable modem (eliminate the Linksys) I have no problems doing a tracert.

I could make a bootable network enabled Linux CD, or run Linux in a VM and see what happens.

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | On Thu, 05 May 2005 17:24:43 GMT, "DRLev" wrote: | | >I made a very foolish mistake and purchased a Linksys WRT55AG Ver.2 router. I | >now realize the error of my ways :-) | >

| >I cannot perform a tracert using either tracert from the command line or using | >VIsualRoute. ICMP packets are blocked. VisualRoute tells me "There appears to | >be a firewall at hop 0 or 1 that is blocking incoming ICMP TTL expired in | >transit" | | Bummer. Do you have a Linux machine or "live CD" handy? Linux | treaceroute uses UDP ping by default. It can also do ICMP with the -I | flag. Windoze uses only ICMP. Might be worth trying UDP. | | >I have attempted everything that seems reasonable in the router configuration | >including disabling the firewall. Nothing has worked. I cannot do a trace | >route. | | Can you traceroute from your client to the router? If that doesn't | work, then there's something busted on the client, not the router. | Windoze XP SP2 firewall perhaps? | | Not very thrilling output: | C:\> tracert 192.168.1.1 | Tracing route to 192.168.1.1 over a maximum of 30 hops | 1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1 | Trace complete. | | I assume you're using the 1.11 version firmware for WRT55AGv2: |

formatting link
| There is a different (not later) 1.30 version on the international | site: |
formatting link
| Might be worth a try. | | >Linksys support has been totally useless in this situation. Web, voice and | >email support all get to the point at which the issue needs to go to a higher | >level, this higher level is a "black hole". | | >Does anybody have experience with this router? Could you suggest a way to | >enable trace route? | | | -- | Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us | 150 Felker St #D
formatting link
| Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Reply to
DRLev

If all else fails, Linksys does have a source tarball for the router as a downloadable file (quite large; about 130Mb). I think that it's running an embedded version of Linux, but I don't know if the appropriate cross-compiler is available. Feel free to compile your own version of the kernel and utilities, and flash your device. I have not done that to mine.

Reply to
D. Stussy

Thanks

It may be next weekend before I will have time to troubleshoot the router. I do appreciate your input. The "I've tried that" responses I am giving are my fault because my original post was not thorough.

I have set the router back to defaults more than once and started from scratch. No avail.

I will try the reverse tracert and see what happens, I have toggled the "Block Anonymous Internet Requests:" I will allow anonymous requests before I attempt the reverse tracert.

I believe that many of the options on the configuration menus for this router are "dummies", they actually perform no function or do not "throw any switches". I am hoping an update is released soon. It is almost as if the existing firmware is in early beta.

Reply to
DRLev

Thanks

But I AFAIK there is no GPL for the WRT55AG version 2, there is a GPL for the WRT55AG.

I have not verified this and I know that NG info is not gospel, but somebody in another NG posted a message saying the WRT55AG version 2 is not Linux based. But then even if it was I do not have the skills or knowledge to edit the code.

I do appreciate your response

Reply to
DRLev

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.