Configuring Vista & Router

Just got a new laptop with Vista installed and also Netgear Range Max Next Wireless N cable router. All lights on router show things are functioning OK & I am able to access internet thro cablles + home network etc. The router is connected to virgin cable router.

No previous experience wit Vista or wireless etc. and having a job getting my head around it all ........ I thought the installation disc was suppose to make things easy !! In the network manager my netgear icon shows with an exclamation mark & message * The settings on this computer do not match requirements of the network*

It would seem that something is wrong with the configuration on the PC but need help sorting it all out . Never had any problem before with my old hard wired cable router .......

Thanks for any help Cheers

Reply to
Andy
Loading thread data ...

On 2007-10-09, Andy intrigued me by typing:

You should be able to connect to your wireless router without the use of a setup disc. Depending on your laptop's manufacturer, you may or may not have a software firewall installed. If so, make sure it is not blocking you from accessing the internet via your network wirelessly. With Vista, it will ask you what type of network you are attempting to access, i.e., private or public, and take steps to protect you. It also wouldn't help to double check your wireless router's menu and make sure that wireless is enabled. Now, if you've named your wireless network, double click on the wireless icon at the bottom right corner near the clock. If my memory serves me correctly, it'll say something like...wireless network are available. When you click on it, it'll show all wireless networks within range of your laptop. Click on *your* wireless network and go from there. I recommend that you do not use the default SSID (probably netgear). Give your network a unique name. Once you're able to access the internet, go back into the router's menu and enable encryption (preferrably WPA2 AES), enter a long nonsense password and then enter that same password in your Vista wireless section. Forgive me for misnaming things. I have Vista installed and I like it, however, the majority of my computing is done under Linux (Ubuntu 7.04). Let us know whether or not you are successful in getting online. Chat with you later.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Thanks for reply Doug ....... the time I've wasted on this! Its strange - I've actually managed to get wireless but just for a short spell then it drops connection - if I insert cat cable back into pc all is OK ? When I go thro troubleshhoting in the * Network sharing centre * it says to change settings for the network adapter as network adapter doesnt have a valid IP configuration but I dont know how to do that. What I don't understand is that all seems OK after going thro Netgears install procedure and completion test - something just seems to happen shortly afterwards

Reply to
Andy

On 2007-10-09, Andy intrigued me by typing:

Your wireless router *should* be issuing an ip address to your laptop. If you haven't changed the default SSID name, it another wireless network with the same default SSID may be interfering with yours. To be on the safe side, Change your SSID in your wireless router's menu. Also, instead of having wireless mode in your wireless router set up as, and I'm guessing here , B, G & N, use G only.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

IME Vista's wireless networking stack is utter pants. Somehow, between XP and Vista, MS broke it.

I have a laptop that works fine with XP, but which simply can't connect to my router when booted into Vista. It keeps telling me there's a settings mismatch, even with encryption turned off and everything identical to the XP config. No amount of fiddling has fixed it.

Yes - you have Vista installed. No kidding. Upgrade to XP.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Sorry to hear that Mr. McIntyre. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My latest laptop (Toshiba A135-S4499) that I purchased in March came with Windows Vista Ultimate along with an Intel Pro Wireless 3945abg card and I have *never* experienced any problems networking wirelessly. My wireless router is the typical Linksys WRT54G. I must confess that as soon as brought it home and booted up, I immediately began uninstalling all the crapware that came preinstalled. The very first thing I removed was the McAfee Internet Security suite. Anyway, take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Had a tech guy out today as this is doing my head in ....... he couldn't sort things out either ! He couldn't log on to network using his laptop and trying another wireless router . Virgin have tested bb connection and says all ok there. They dont offer support for wireless and as far as they are concerned as I am getting connection OK when cable is directly inserted into modem that's where there obligation ends ....... I am now networking thro old wired router which works perfectly OK which is strange ? Another thing is that the wireles router picks up other secured networks in the surrounding area so is working of sorts .

Reply to
Andy

On 2007-10-10, Andy intrigued me by typing:

Unless I'm missing something, you should not be having this much trouble connecting to a wireless network. It is not difficult at all. If you are already accessing the world wide web via a wired/ethernet connection, then you *should* be able to connect a wireless access point or wireless router to your current cable/DSL modem, turn on the wireless radio feature and voila! Now what do you mean when you say your "wireless router picks up other secured networks in the surrounding area..."? Your wireless network card that's in your laptop or other wireless client should be the device that is discovering the nearby wireless networks. Not the *typical* wireless router. If it is your wireless network card that is detecting the nearby wireless networks, do you not see your network listed? If you do not see your SSID listed among the detected wireless networks, then you either have a faulty wireless router, you may need to reset the wireless router, your wireless router's radio feature is not turned on or you have an SSID that is not unique. Anyway, don't give up. Believe me, to network wirelessly is not difficult and I don't want you to think that it is. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.