Netgear wireless won't work

I have a Netgear wireless adapter that stop working this morning. I thought my kids had screwed things up by downloading some spyware, etc. But not sure. I reinstalled the Netgear driver, BUT in the device manager it has an exclamation point. I reinstalled several times and no good.Still an exclamation sign. It won't open up the utility tray either. Is there a conflict somewhere or is this a software issue? It is windows 98 SE. I had the adapter for over a year with no issues until now.

Reply to
snow
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps try a system restore back to a point a two days ago when it was working.

Reply to
CWatters

Sorry Win98 SE doesn't have the restore feature. When you uninstalled the adapter did you physically uninstall the hardware and software then reinstall both? Is there any additional device in device manager that has another exclamation point or doesn't work (conflict)? Try a different pci slot?

Might be the card just went bad possibly.

Dennis

Reply to
dennis

Sorry Win98 SE doesn't have the restore feature. When you uninstalled the adapter did you physically uninstall the hardware and software then reinstall both? Is there any additional device in device manager that has another exclamation point or doesn't work (conflict)? Try a different pci slot?

Might be the card just went bad possibly.

Dennis

Reply to
dennis

"dennis" hath wroth:

It sorta does. Boot to MSDOS by stomping on the F8 key a few times during bootup. You'll get a short text menu. Select Command Line boot or something like that.

From the DOS prompt, run: c:\\windows\\command\\scanreg /restore You'll be presented by a list of 5 previous registries from previous successful boots. Pick one.

This will not remove any files or drivers the kids have added but will prevent them from loading. If they've overscribbled a system file, this won't fix it.

I would scan for spyware, viruses, worms, and kids games before messing with the registry.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I stand corrected. It's been a while since I used that one

thanks Dennis

Reply to
dennis

Ah yes I didn't spot that bit.

Reply to
CWatters

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.