Cable modem --> wireless router --> wired router --> computer.

I'm obviously new here, so first off, I'd like to say hello. So, yeah... hello. :)

So here's my ridiculously complex and frustrating problem. I have a cable modem in my office which connects to a wireless router which provides wired (not a typo) internet to 4 parties, one of them being my main bedroom computer. The wireless network often fails, so everyone in the house has a hardwire connection just in case. Now, I have an additional wired modem in my bedroom, and I want to use the hardwire I have in my bedroom (which comes from the wireless router) to plug into a wired router in order to provide internet to two computers in my bedroom. Still following? Just in case you're not, check the topic title. It sort of illustrates what I'm trying to do.

So, I plug in the hard wire and plug in two additional Ethernet cables into ports 1 and 2 and then plug those into their respected computers. All the lights on the modem are solid green. Internet is solid green. Port 1 is solid green. Port 2 is solid green. Power is (obviously) solid green. Both of my computers are telling me (via network settings information) that I am connected to the Internet and have obtained an IP address. My MacBook is giving me the green light, and my Windows XP PC is telling my I am connected and transferring data at 100Mbps.

Here's where it all goes downhill. Neither computer will load a web page. They both appear to be loading, but after a few seconds, each will either time out, or tell me that the web page cannot be found. Obviously I tried other things: logging on to AIM, sending email with OutLook Express, etc. Nothing works. Both computers tell me that everything is ready to rock and roll, but neither rocking nor rolling is taking place. I've tried resetting the wired router, restarting both computers, unplugging everything for X amount of time, etc. Again, nothing works. I've basically done every (to my knowledge) simple fix for this type of problem, but to no avail.

Any ideas/suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Ben

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Tastic
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.