My netgear router light has gone orange....

My mistake was to go on holiday and turn off my router which has worked fine for a couple of years.....

I use a dell insipron laptop and connect to the internet via a netgear wireless hub.

When I came back and turned on my stuff and my connection suddenly didn't work. My wireless doesn't pickup my own connection.

So I connected wired to the router and it doesn't give me a dhcp and I noticed that the power light is solid amber rather and I think it used to be green.

Just to be sure it is the router, if I connect the laptop wired to the internet modem then all is well so I figure the laptop and ISP are not the problem.

Any ideas for my amber light router? I've tried a reset/restore factory settings and neither have any visible effect at all....

Thanks in advance

K.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
kornealius
Loading thread data ...

What order did you turn the equiptment on in? Used to have that problem when I turned both the modem and wap/router on at the same time... Now I do the modem FIRST, give it a minute or so and THEN turn on the wap/router... You didn't say what order, but you may want to give it a shot (hey, it's free!

Reply to
Peter Pan

kornealius hath wroth:

Nope. Any particular model number Netgear router? Extra credit for also disclosing the hardware version number.

Also, which light is amber/orange? What's the label on the light say?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi!

I think the OP said that they plugged in a network cable and got an orange link light.

On my WGR-614v6 (and some others) that means you've got a 10 megabit link (!!!!) instead of a 100 megabit link, which is the normal green light. It's not mentioned in the manual that I can see...and I was pleasantly surprised to see after plugging in a PS/2 Model 95 that there was a means of determing link speed by light color included with it. Too bad the rest of it doesn't work all that well...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

"William R. Walsh" hath wroth:

Nope. I re-read the original and it was the power light: "I noticed that the power light is solid amber rather and I think it used to be green." I missed that line. Without the model number, I can tell if that's normal or means something important.

What color is the Netgear power light normally? What color while booting?

I never read the manual until after I get into trouble. It's a matter of pride. I have to maintain the illusion that I know everything (except the color of the Netgear pilot light).

We used to use those as servers around 1987. 486DX33 CPU's.

I just tossed a PS/2 Muddle 30-286. The reason it took so long is that there were tons of other PS/2 boxes and parts on top of it. Good riddance. Want a large box of assorted PS/2 boards cheap? Most were pulled from Model 95 servers.

Cramming an ATX motherboard into a Model 95 case:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi!

Ah, OK. Don't know how I missed that, but I did. An amber power light doesn't sound good. I've not heard of one doing that before.

On my WGR614v6, the startup process goes something like this: All lights on All lights off Power light on Radio light blinks Ethernet port lights come in if anything is attached them and alive Up and running

There's a "check mark" that should come on if the unit is completely up and working, but it doesn't seem to apply in the bridge mode.

I didn't touch it until I was curious--as in "that's an interesting feature. I wonder if they talk about it in the book." Not a word was said.

This one has the clock doubling (50MHz) "L" complex in it. I have some DX33 boards, but they don't see regular use.

Any 9585 K/N boxen in there? I've been looking and wanting one for *years*. I have lots of 9585-xXx boxen.

Sure, why not. Almost anything is interesting and could be put to good use. (For whatever it might be worth, I have an operating Token Ring notwork bridged to my Ethernet toys by way of an IBM 8229.)

wct walshcomptech com

Sacrilege! Aaaah! :-)

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Hi!

And, of course, all during the startup process, the lights are green. I didn't know that any of the indicators on it were capable of any other color, but at least the Ethernet indicators are.

While on the subject...in amongst the things you've been tossing out, were there any Dallas clock modules? (DS1287/12887/1387) I'm interested in getting my hands on as many of those as I can, and I don't care if they are depleted or not:

(warning: going off topic a bit)

formatting link
William

Reply to
wm_walsh

Nope. No planars (motherboards) in the pile. Since I figured no sane person would ever want them, when we scrapped out the Model 95's, we only kept the stuff that was easily removeable. Before you accuse me of lack of imagination and forsight, management wanted to toss the whole server farm, and I organized a last minute salvage operation. It was the best I could do in one afternoon. Most of the pile was then sold over the years. I'm down to about 70 assorted PS/2 plugin cards.

Hint: I collect old red LED HP calculators.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

wm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

We still don't know the model number of the Netgear router. The color may be different for different models. I won't speculate or try to remember the boot (color) sequence. I tried using the Netgear knowledge base search thing for at least the last 60 minutes and am getting:

Support Search is Unavailable

The search engine for the NETGEAR North American Support is unavailable for 5 minutes while implementing new features or indexing new documents.

The connection with the server was terminated abnormally : 80072EFE

Oh well. I really miss the good old days of honest error messages.

Actually yes. They all probably have dead batteries inside, but you might get lucky. When I immolated all my 286 motherboards on the hibachi as sacrifice to the computer gods, I kept some of the easily removable parts. I'll look.

Yuck. Dremel grinding is a bit drastic. It could easily shatter the crystal or IC wire bonds. I like to use a chemical attack. Hysol Epoxy Dissolver. I don't have the docs handy, but I think there's a new improved version available from Dextor. It's mostly alcohol of some sort and is very handy for reverse engineering potted modules. Paint stripper sometimes works. Details when I find them.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah, but Jeff... they still WORK! (even the keys)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That is true on mine as well.

My Netgear WGR614v4 Firmware Version V5.0_07 Turns the power light solid amber for 5 seconds during power on, then five seconds blinking amber, then solid green, with or without the WAN cable attached. The "wireless" light blinks once between the two amber stages, and later becomes a WiFi activity indicator.

After you convinced me to "factory reset it" the other day, I'm using it daisy chained behind a Motorola SB5100 cable modem - Linksys BEFW11S4v3

- Dlink DVG-5102S - Netgear WGR614v4.

I don't know if the factory reset or being off for a few hours cured it of yesterday's illness, but it has been fine today.

Funny, I can ping the Linksys router, but I can't connect to the web management interface, on my twice removed NAT address.

Reply to
dold

Hi!

I wasn't about to do that! :-) I've seen Server 95s whose cases were smashed and bashed in. Given what they're made of, I cannot fully contemplate the

*enormous* amount of abuse it took to make that happen.

And I realize that like anything, you can't save 'em all. I'm happy to have what I do and am always looking for more stuff to salvage.

I don't really have anything interesting to offer in trade, calculators aren't my specialty. (But, you know, one did wander in and needed to be saved:

formatting link
The only thing I could really offer you is cash--some not-too-unreasonable amount--for the adapters.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

For a while, the local dump was separating out the eWaste:

It didn't last, but while it did, I was able to do a substantial amount of (unauthorized) salvage.

There was a time, when IBM was into crushing their old hardware to prevent it from being resold on the surplus market. Other companies are still having problems competing with their own surplus hardware.

Not a bad find. I've never heard of Eldorado Electrodata. Looks just like one of these:

There were a fair number of strange products based on 4 function calculator chips to appear in the early 1970's. I've found a few oddities over the years, many of which look like "production prototypes" and other oxymorons. I recall one that looked and weighed like it was designed to survive a nuclear attack.

Incidentally, I just ordered an HP-35s (the commemorative version).

Lets see what I find when I get back to my palatial office. I'm doing the recovery thing after surgery 3 weeks ago and have no intention of letting work get in the way of my loafing, errr... recovery. I should pay a visit to my office within the next few daze and may attempt to excavate the back of the closet where the M/C boards are probably buried. This is when it was fairly clean:

I would take a more up to date photo, but there's no empty place large enough to place the tripod.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

snipped-for-privacy@97.usenet.us.com hath wroth:

Bingo. So if it's stuck on orange, it never finished booting. I've seen that some a few Netgear routers. The solution was to reset everything with the factory reset button. Near as I can guess(tm), the saved setting in NVRAM were overscribbled by something, causing the boot failure. No clue what caused it or how.

Hopefully on different RF channels. They will probably interfere with each other. I dunno about the daisy chain idea. Just setup one of the two routers as a router, and setup the other as a wireless access point (no router) and eliminate the daisy chain (multiple NAT) mess.

I think it was the threat of having it tossed in the trash that inspired the miraculous recovery.

You probably have the Netgear and Linksys on the same Class C IP address block of 192.168.1.xxx. Neither router will pass traffic from the LAN to WAN side within the LAN IP block. Change the IP block for the 2nd router and it will work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

They were both on 11 all day today. No problem, and they are within 10 feet of each other. I thought I had set one of them to 6... oh, that's right, factory default reset ;-) I changed the Linksys to 1 when I noticed. Odd the Linksys reports the firmware version on several different pages, but doesn't expose the model number.

I "replaced" the Netgear with the Linksys. Then I decided I wanted to see if the reset thing worked on the Netgear, and the only open port I had was downstream on the VoIP adapter ;-)

I might rearrange it tomorrow, if the Netgear continues to behave. I really think the trouble started when I was cloning addresses to make the cable modem happy, and probably wound up with two of the "same" MAC addresses connected somewhere. Or maybe it just had a little hiccup during that routine, and the factory reset made it all better.

The Linksys is at 192.168.18. The Netgear is at the factory default of

192.168.0, the DLink is at the factory default of 192.168.15. I can share a volume and a printer off the 192.168.18.something PC, I just can't open the web page of the router. Maybe because I'm not on the same subnet, and I have "remote management" disabled? I thought that was only for the WAN side address.
Reply to
dold

Hi!

I knew a guy who had a business not so much recycling but selling this kind of stuff. Some stuff (that which was broken beyond repair or too old) did go off to the recyclers, but most didn't. I *loved* to go there and pick stuff up. Toward the end, it got to the point where I could load a station wagon full of stuff for next to nothing.

Most of the computer recyclers I've met over time were real jerks.

I hadn't either, until a chance post to rec.antiques.radio+phono brought up someone who had worked for them! What a find that was! They did OEM a lot of calculators for other people.

Good idea. ;-)

Wow...where have I seen something like that before? Surely *not* in my own office! I love those mice hanging from the door.

Woefully out of date, but should give you an idea:

formatting link
William

Reply to
wm_walsh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.