Buffalo router Question

Hi,

I have a Buffalo WHR-G54S that has 2 hardwired PCs connected. When both PCs are on, I get about dial-speed. When one PC is off, I get about 7-8 kB/s and when I direct connect to my Wireless Broadband connection, it runs at 25-35kB/s. I contacted the Buffalo tech support but they are no help at all. Can someone tell me where I should start looking to fix this speed problem?

Thanks,

Ed

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
esm
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:31:31 -0500, esm wrote in :

Consider running DD-WRT firmware.

Reply to
John Navas

The firmware shouldn't have anything to do with wired connections in a built-in 4-port switch in the thing. Neither should it have any effect on the wireless other than the enhancements that DD-WRT gives. And it does give some nice enhancements. I do like DD-WRT.

I'd like to know some more about this setup. What is this Wireless Broadband Connection? And where from are you testing the speed? (from a wired pc? from a wireless laptop? from your grandmothers house down the street?)

• Is this Internet connection a Router of sorts? So it runs DHCP and CAT5 network cable goes from it to your Buffalo "Internet" port. And the two PC's are on 2 of the other 4 ports on Buffalo. Is there anything else that you are not telling us? Or have I hit the nail on the head?

The 4 port switch is just simple Layer 2 Switching... nothing special about that these days. Plugging another PC into a switch should do nothing. Now what are these two PC's doing such as downloading or watching videos on the Internet when they are ON?

What happens when none of the PC's are on? Assume then you would be wireless to the Buffalo. It's a wireless router/access point, you do use it wirelessly, right? What happens there? Going across to the wireless to a laptop is also Layer 2 Switching.

When the router is used AS A ROUTER - that usually means using the Internet Port. Could be something there. Is it set up properly for the service/device you are connecting it to for Internet? Typically this is either PPPoE for DSL or DHCP from a router (sometimes with DSL) or cable modem.

• Draw a picture of your network. Scan it... and post it back. Label everything. Tell what your ISP is, tell what your IP Addresses are (any that are static such as Internet Modem/Router.)
Reply to
Alan Spicer

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:54:02 -0500, "Alan Spicer" wrote in :

The firmware controls functions like NAT and firewall, which affect both wired and wireless connections, and in fact both wired and wireless connectivity can be affected by firmware issues. Case in point in filesharing, which can open so many connections the router falls over.

Reply to
John Navas

Fast or slow PC's? Make and model if possible. 10mbits/sec or

100mbits/sec ethernet connections? How long a CAT5 connection. In other words, describe what you actually are using.

That would be about 15 kbits/sec. How are you measuring this? What's your test setup?

Is that bits or bytes per second? Thou shalt not abrev.

Any particular type of broadband connection? Does it have a speed rating? If so, what is the maximum rated speed (including bursting for cable internet).

Dunno. It kinda looks like the 2nd PC is generating some traffic. When you turn it off, the traffic stops. My first guess, based on the limited information you've supplied, is that it's infected with a virus, a trojan horse, or is busy downloading some updates. In any case, it's generating traffic. Watch the lights and see if they flash continuously when the 2nd PC is running.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.