Newby...Have a few questions?

Hi, I have a friend that has Satellite Wildblue internet that he's trying to share with neighbors. If he can get it to work, he plans on increasing his bandwidth and sharing the costs. The problem is, right now he has a mono antenna outside that he's using to create a hotspot. You have to get very close to the antenna to pick up a signal and even then, it's low. We'd all like to share the signal but at present, it won't even work where I live which is approximately 300 yards away. He wants to share the signal with a couple buildings very close to each other on his property, a neighbor that is about 100 yards south and me about 300 yards southwest. Is there a solution that could be used for all of us to share the signal?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
dart451
Loading thread data ...

dart451 hath wroth:

It can be done, but I'm not sure you want to do it. The outgoing bandwidth is rather limited.

I think you mean "omni" or "omnidirectional" antenna which I'll also guess(tm) is the stock antenna that came with the unspecified model wireless router. Note that some of these antennas are NOT removeable and cannot be replaced with an aftermarket antenna. It would be helpful if you would interrogate your neighbor and disclose the exact model number and hardware mutation.

What's that in feet or meters? If you have line of sight, you should be able to get a fairly reliable connection out to about 100ft. If you don't have line of sight, it really depends on what's in the way.

That's a long way for Wi-Fi with the stock antennas. You'll probably need a directional antenna at both ends. You might want to also disclose what you're using at your end. Numbers are a good thing.

Is that a 90 degree angle between the two neighbors?

Sure. I'll assume that you can attach a replacement antenna to both ends of the link. At the wireless router, build or buy a Franklin or sector antenna with about 120 degrees horizontal beamwidth. Something like one of these:

They have lots of gain, a wide horizontal beamwidth, but very little vertical beamwidth. Therefore this isn't going to work if the endpoints are at different altitudes.

At the client ends, get some kind of directional antenna. Almost anything with more than about 8dBi of gain will work. Plenty of aftermarket antennas available but I don't want to recommend anything specific without knowing the hardware and the topography.

Make sure you have line of sight. If you don't, it may not work. If the linke sorta works, it may not be reliable. Do whatever it takes to get line of sight.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

My friend presently has an outside omni antenna that is about 15' high. I don't think it's a direct line with my residence...he sits in a small depression...it might be line of site if I could look from the top of his antenna but it's on a mast and I can't do that. He's using a Buffalo router that he has hooked up to the outside antenna.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
dart451

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.