Need Wireless-N card to boost Wireless-N router range?

First off hello everyone and apologies if this is redundant, as I skimmed back a couple of weeks and couldn't find anything on this topic.

We have a rather large spread on our property, and had a little tussle over placement of our Wireless G router (Lynksys). I've read enough about Wireless-N to know it would be a good opportunity to upgrade and convinced our landlord to do so.

However I'm not seeing any noticeable difference in terms of the network range after installing the Linksys WRT150N - I'm still stuck at about 100 feet with a direct line of sight, which is no difference from the previous router. I have little concern for speed as our local cable internet maxes out at 600 KB/s regardless, so I figured we would be set to go with our existing wireless cards.

My question then is - is it necessary to install Wireless N cards in our laptops to improve the range? Can't find much on this topic through Google.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Bryan
Loading thread data ...

You probably can't find anything, since it isn't true... You are either imagining things, only reding stuff posted by idiots, or listening to the salesfolks.....

If you are using the existing cards, you won't be able to use n (pre n) anyway, it will drop to b/g compatibility mode and not do any n stuff anyway

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

thread:

formatting link
Yesterday I have asked the same question at a local computer store and a salesman explained me kindly that a Wifi-N card is not boosting wifi signal, multiplexing data packets toi be sent, between 3 antennas, increasing speed by a factor of 3 not a range. To increase a range try to install better gain outdoor antennas. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Darius

Reply to
Darius

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.