Bridging problems...DLINK 2100APs

I am trying to run an Axis 213 IP webcam over a network consisting of a Dlink Rangebooster N router which I have connected to a Dlink 2100 Access Point via ethernet cable (it only has one port on the back). I then want to bridge or some how connect that AP to an identical Dlink2100AP at a remote location. For now, it isn't at the remote location it is sitting on the couch beside me where I am trying mightily not to destroy it and remove all evidence of its existence from the universe.

I can SEE the camera from my main router, which means that in some crazy way the set up is sort of workinig. I ihave the DLINK 2100 AP's running in WDS w/ AP mode. I have the main router set up to forward the appropriate port to the camera. I have the camera set up to negotiate the NAT router (I've inputted it's IP & the ports that I Ihave set to be forwarded).

However I can't access the camera server via wireless (through the router), if I connect to the AP that it is hardwired to (whose existence in this universe is becoming more questionable by the second) then I can connect to the camera.

This leads me to believe that the problem probably lies in one of two places:

Does the ethernet cable runniing from the LAN port of my main router to the port on the back of the AP give the AP access to the internet?

And if so, shouldn't the WDS w/AP connection between the two AP's also give the other AP access to the internet thus letting the camera have access to the internet?

cable modem ---> dlink rangebooster N router ---> (ethernet cable) - DLink 2100AP ---> WDS w/ AP bridge - Dlink 2100AP ---> (ethernet cable) Axis 213 Webcam

I've also tried running one AP as a repeater for the router and the other as a AP client to the router. I haven't tried every permutation in that setup (although that was at 3 am my time when I started trying that)

I've also tried running both in solo WDS mode (no AP) but this makes them invisibile/hard to access and is a pain. Also, it didn't work.

If Ii plug the camera directly into the router with the settings I currently use then it works perfectly.

I am a wireless networking newbie and after this disaster (I've been working on this 3 days) I may stay one indefinitely. Does anyone have any suggestions? Your help would be very appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
ackbar345
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.