VoIP Solution

I am interested in a VOiP solution to install at my home in Boston. I was thinking of using SkyPE as the provider. In addition, I would like to make the solution as ubiquitous as possible, using a regular telephone handset rather than computer speaker and microphone.

What would be the recommended setup.

1) Should I buy a VOIP phone such as Olympia USB Cordless phone 2) Buy a SKYPE USB to RJ11 adapter and then hookup a regular cordless phone of my choice? 3) Buy a RJ45 to RJ11 adapter like Sipura Phone Adapter and use that with the regular coordless phone?

In addition, I will most definantely use SkyPeOut, but I am also curious if I get SkyPeIN service as well, which of these will support Caller ID function?

I am in the US.

Kind regards, George B.

Reply to
Pred02
Loading thread data ...

Ok, but what is then recommended in terms of this service?

Kind regards, George

Reply to
Pred02

Ok, but what is then recommended in terms of this service?

Kind regards, George

Reply to
Pred02

Then Skype is the wrong answer. Almost any other VoIP provider will do. Most of them are cheaper than Skype anyway.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

I think you should tell us in slightly more detail what the problem is that you're looking to solve. Do you have very high LD bills? Do you want lots of fancy phone features? Do you prefer a kind of phone service where 911 doesn't work? Do you just hate Verizon? Do you want to keep a local Boston number?

I doubt it.

That doesn't seem like a very good idea.

There's not much point until you know what service you want to use it with. I agree with the comment that Skype is probably not what you want.

If you want VoIP service that resembles your POTS service, sign up with pretty much any VoIP carrier other than Skype, get a terminal adapter, find the place on your house where the Verizon line comes in and unhook it, then plug a cord from your VoIP phone to the house wiring, and it'll run your current phones so long as there aren't too many of them. That's what I do with Lingo, driving two or three phones. Works pretty well and is definitely cheaper than POTS for my calling pattern.

Reply to
John R. Levine

Skype is just software and different to any other VoIP telephony, it will only work with an computer ON. ATA's like Sipura won't work with Skype ! They plug directly in to an ethernet port of a router and work independently from a computer, with SIP based VoIP services. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

The bulk of our telephone charges come from the international calls, which include pretty much all of Europe and especially East Europe (Serbia, Croatia) There we have family and we call pretty regulary.

I am not sure how much lower would the international rates be, since in the US the market is very saturated and they provide much cheaper phone calls to begin with.

I am not as interested in having another Boston number, but if I was to go with a VoIP number, I would perhaps choose a UK number as there I lived for a while and have many friends.

So you are suggesting a SIP provider and getting some equipment? If possible, can you please recommend a good provider given my needs above as well as a decent priced converter so I can hook up the telephone. I understand there are RJ45 to RJ11 adapters that I can hookup to my broadband router.

Kind regards, george B.

Reply to
Pred02

I strongly recommend ATT CallVantage: $29/mo. free LD free local answering machine, call waiting, voice mail by e-mail if desired, more...

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Dear Friend,

If you want to be able to get the best and all the services in all, please do visit

formatting link

For further questions, please do contact me on snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Wish you all the best.

Sam.

------------------------------------- Pred02 wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 4876 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ubifone

I still can't tell can't tell what problem you want to solve. If you just want to make a lot of cheap calls to Europe, look at Lingo or Boradvoice or iconnecthere, all of which have plans that include free calling to much of Europe and reasonable rates to the Balkans, around

8 cpm to Croatia, 13 cpm to Serbia. Most offer local numbers in the UK, albeit often at extra cost.

If you don't care if anyone can call you on your VoIP, also look at Net2phone's PC->phone service which is quite cheap.

No, I'm just suggesting getting a SIP provider. As I've said at least three times now, the provider gives you equipment that works with their service.

R's, John

Reply to
John R. Levine

If you want a free UK number then you should register with sipgate.co.uk using a UK proxy, or get somebody in UK to do it. If you get your friends in UK (or anywhere) to use sipgate or one of their peer partners (Free World Dialup etc.) then you can have entirely free calls with them. Otherwise you can pre-pay for calls to PSTN UK or International numbers.

You can use soft phone like Xten Lite to start with. Probably the best ATA to get is one of the Sipura range, but they are not cheap. Linksys PAP2 should be good enough, but as I understand it the ones sold in US are locked to Vonage, but here in UK they are available unlocked. By far the best solution is a router with built in VoIP ports because they will have QoS which will give priority to voice traffic, e.g. Draytek Vigor

2500V, 2600V , Zyxel 2602HW/L of Zoom X5V. Regards, Martin
Reply to
Martin²

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.