How do I terminate a Skype call on a PBX?

Hello everyone,

I want to make it possible for a person outside US to call an extension on our PBX. We have a PC that can run Skype 24/7, so the person would use their Skype client software to connect to Skype client that's running on that PC. Could anyone give me some pointers on what kind of equipment/software do I need to

#1 auto answer the Skype call #2 generate a ring on an analog trunk #3 convert the sound between the soundcard output (44kHz stereo) and the analog trunk (3.1 KHz mono)

BTW, I understand it's even more involved to make an outgoing call via Skype from our PBX, but if someone had ever accomplished such feat, I would love to hear about particulars! Please post your comments or suggestions here.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com
Loading thread data ...

Gads! What is the allure of proprietary systems that entices people to go through these contortions? Does Skype really offer anything others don't (besides hassles)?

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Umm... Cost? ;-) For outgoing connections we are already using Net2Phone, terminated on the phone port of our Linksys router, works great. But for incoming it will be great to have some way of using a system that does not have monthly plan costs. Best I can think of would be Skype. If there are alternatives, I would love to know about them.

One other thing is Skype's amazing call quality, I think I can appreciate that. All other VoIP service providers I dealt with give you your 3.1KHz, highly compressed, else they go out of business paying too much for bandwidth to their providers. Skype, on the other hand, being a peer-to-peer app can afford luxury of higher bandwidth, which accounts for crystal clear sound that I like so much.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Hi all

I am an awful story teller so I'll get right to the point. If someone calls on a specific number, and is for a specific problem, the Secretary can divert the call to someone else, but the tricky part is to use a "Voice over IP" for inside company, but Incoming call will be from a regular Phone. I was thinking on using Skype for inside (with USB Phones), combined maybe with some kind of "Phone Answering Software", but don't now how that can be connected to something like a Skype, or even if this is possible. Besides "SkaypeIn" if possible. To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with regular phone line.

Thanks

Reply to
Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

formatting link

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

I have not tested, but I think your purpose can be solved by useing sjphone and, or kphone over services provided by

formatting link
(a freeworld dialup/forward service).

Reply to
Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.