Is there anyway to use a VoIP phone service to fax?

Since I have Win XP, I can fax directly form my computer if I plug in a land line phone line into the on-board dial-up modem jack. I use cable for the internet.

I don't have a land line, and right now I'm not subscribed to a VoIP service. I've had Skype before, but now I use a cell phone for regular calls.

Is there any way to fax using a VoIP service? I'm sure there is, but how would I do it? Do I need to get some hardware - like a connector that plugs into the mic and earphone jack and goes to the RJ11? Or is it possible to fax just using the computer without that kind of connector some way?

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo
Loading thread data ...

You have 2 optiosn You could purchase a MTA (Sipura) and plug an actual fax behind it. Of course you will need Voip service, just make sure they support fax over IP. The standard protocol now a days is T.38. Another options is to purchase a "fax line" from say

formatting link
where everything works via email.

Reply to
bvlmv

I would go for option #2 that does not require two additional steps of signal conversion. Chances are you will loose some quality on each conversion step so why not just use the one-step procedure?

There are other services out there in addition to concordfax.com that bvlmv had mentioned. You should be able to get free incoming faxes in many places and, if you don't mind a little ad banner added on top of your faxes, you can even get a free outgoing services as well. Check these guys out for example:

formatting link

Cheers! D~

formatting link

##-----------------------------------------------## Retention measured in years at

formatting link
access to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 6187 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
telecom-gear.com

The VoIP service from

formatting link
furnishes you with a Sipura box and does support fax. We use it for faxing. Our 15 year old fax machine will sometimes report line quality problems but the faxes make it through fine.

Reply to
carcarx

eFax works for incoming faxes. Its free if the volume is low and there are paid options for both receiving a higher volume or sending.

The "

formatting link
" may or may not be working. It is dependant on volunteer receiving points that can access a local phone line.

Some time back it appeared to have ceased operation, or better stated, the volunteer receiving systems dried up. There may have been abuse of the system by fax spammers - who knows.

In any event its been ages since I was able to get that to work so I gave up.

While I have DSL I keep a modem handy and use that for computer faxing out. I can get efaxes in.

Another solution...

formatting link

The simple service is about $12.95/mo and you can use it for unified e-mail, voice mail, and faxing. Incoming faxes there are converted to PDF.

I use it for business purposes.

I got in on the ground floor so my rate is cheaper and grandfathered in.

Reply to
D. Kirkpatrick

I'm using ViaTalk and I kept my fax, no extra hardware required. The maximum speed is 9600 baud, that's the only limitation. For fax settings instructions and review see:

formatting link
Thanks,

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

I know I can fax via VoIP with a fax machine plugged into the VoIP RJ11 port that's supposed to support a phone (that would require extra hardware because I don't have a jack or a fax machine), but I would like to be simpler.

When I use a VoIP for voice (and I don't even have a working subscription now), I just plug a mic in and use the computer's speakers. I use the software's interface on the screen to dial etc.

I'd like to fax using XP's built-in fax capability. I would scan the document and then fax. It would come out of the modem's RJ11 (I get the internet via the RJ45 network jack). If I could somehow attach the modem's RJ11 to the mic and speaker jacks, it would work. Do you people understand what I'm trying to do?

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo

It sounds like you want to be able to fax via an application like Skype or XTen. I am not aware of any hardware that would allow you to interface the PC's fax modem with the audio interface.

The more interesting question is this: why even use fax at all? If you scan the documents into the computer, why not just e-mail them?

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.