call forwarding without being involved in the loop possible?

Hello all,

I know almost nothing about telecommunication, and google also did not result in much details about "call forwarding" technology.

My question is, is it possible, say, after A called B, and B call forwarded the call to C, and then B is NOT involved in the loop anymore? In other words, A is now "directly" connected to C, and B is NOT in the loop and is impossible to record the conversation. Even better, B won't be charged for the minutes of the conversation between A and C because B is NOT in the loop anymore.

The reason I am asking this is that, it is one of the possible solutions of my startup business in language interpreting service. A typical scenarios is that, a nurse in a clinic encountered a Spanish speaker who does not understand English well, and the nurse called my business asking for a Spanish interpreter, then my business will forward the call to a language interpreter (selected in real time from available Spanish interpreters on my online platform). In this scenario, I want myself be out of the loop once the call from the nurse is forwarded to an interpreter, so that I do not need to deal with HIPAA compliance issue anymore. The conversation between nurse and Spanish patient is protected by HIPAA, so I want myself be out of it, i.e. there is NO way for me to record the conversation. (Assuming I do have other methods to record the minutes of the conversation, so that I can charge the clinic by minutes).

I checked the call forwarding solution of Twilio, but obviously their solution allows me to record the conversation (after call forwarding), which means I must be still in the loop after "call forwarding" and they charge me by minutes of the conversation (i.e. charge by duration). Is there something that I can get myself OUT of the loop after call forwarding? It may not be called "call forwarding", maybe some technique that I am not aware of?

I would really appreciate if someone can point me to a direction, or let me know that the solution I want actually does not exist.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Jason Y

Reply to
yan...
Loading thread data ...

OK, that isn't call forwarding. That's call transfer, and there are two types, blind and supervised.

With call forwarding, party B is never in the voice path. A dials B and is routed to C without B answering.

Blind call transfer works like this. A calls B. A and B converse. B transfers A to C. C's phone rings and when answered is connected to A.

Supervised call transfer. A calls B. A and B converse.B initiates the transfer, A goes on hold. B and C converse. If C accepts the call, B hangs up and A and C converse. If C says they don't want to talk to A, then B takes A off of hold and makes up some excuse why C isn't available.

Whether the machine doing the transfer/forward can eavesdrop depends on the type of system. With most SIP systems the transfer is done with a re-invite and media then can flow from A to C without being in the loop.

PBX systems are in the loop and can be configured to eavesdrop.

Conventional landlines will generally keep the local switch in the loop.

Cellular carriers are obviously in the loop if any two of the three parties are subscribers and likely in the loop even if not.

Consider a SIP carrier, hosted VoIP. Media won't be anchored to your or your interpreter's location once you release. They can provide you with near real-time call records for billing. Many will allow you to enter a client code on your phone's keypad that shows up as part of the call record for billing.

Reply to
Jay Hennigan

Thank you so much for the detailed answer, Jay. I really appreciate it!

Based on your info, I searched more, and it looks like even the call transfer still cannot really solve my problem, but your email did confirm me that I have to go the other route which is what I have been working on it.

Many thanks again! Jason

Reply to
yan...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.