My first VOIP call

The most likely reason for your poor voice quality is the PC speakers. Sound from the speakers feeds back through your mic and results in feedback echo. Use your headset speakers instead, and try again.

I use a handset that mutes the PC speakers when in use. This prevents having to switch wiring; when the handset is not in use, the PC speakers work normally.

formatting link
SIP Handset connects to your PC's audio in and out ports. It's main advantage is the automatic muting of the PC speakers when it is lifted from its holder or from the desk. There is no need to lower the volume or disconnect the PC speakers during use. The SIP handset includes a thumb-wheel volume control for the earpiece, preventing volume adjustments on your pc when dialing or receiving.

Pepperoni

Reply to
Pepperoni
Loading thread data ...

Although I am a great advocate of SKYPE to make free calls PC to PC, today I made my first VOIP PC to Landline telephone call. I used the UK

1899 service to Ireland because I get my calls for 0.05 pence per minute. It worked very well in that I heard the person on the landline through my speakers perfectly, (as I listen to music a lot I have configured my system to only use the mike of my headset), however they did not hear me very clearly and there was a lot of interference. Where is going wrong, do I need to configure my PC to use the headset to hear as well as talk, if so I lose my speakers, or can I set it up to use both. Why was the reception at the other end so bad. Admittedly 1899 say they are in Beta but if I use someone else I won't get such a good deal on the cost of the calls and then I might as well use the landline to landline. Any help and suggestions and help would be appreciated.
Reply to
Derrick Fawsitt

adjustments

Gee, that phone is expensive.

To use your PC for VOIP, I would just use a good handset. I also use a USB handset sometimes which (being digital) bypasses your sound card, and has a dialer built into the handset.

formatting link
one is high quality and seems quite rugged (metal lightweight construction) It is branded "voiceglo", but is made by Cyberphone ("K" model) (I own this "K" model) see it here also:
formatting link
also the other phones on the voipvoice site. there are several, including a speakerphone and a cyberphone model without the handset dial. (I don't have experience with the others)

The Cyberphone unit has the best voice quality, but the Let'schat model is adequate and simple to use (and half the price)

Both the CyberphoneK and the "Let'sChat" handset from

formatting link
well with PC softphones.

For my soft phone, I use the SJLabs free software running Vonage.

Minutes are also available several places, including the Sipphone site, Glophone and many others. (Glophone uses proprietary software, but has "Glo2GO" and can be used on public machines using JAVA)

Pepperoni

Reply to
Pepperoni

If by "0.05 pence per minute" you mean "0.0005 pounds per minute", or "20 minutes for 1p", then that is a good price. If you mistyped and actually meant "5 pence per minute", that's really really expensive. I pay about 1/4 that to call Ireland from Malaysia. Wouldn't Skypeout be cheaper?

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

In message , Pepperoni writes

Thank you so much, I will get a SIP Handset, someone suggested a Snom

190 as being an ace machine but expensive, do you know it and is it worth it. I am so involved with communication its worth it to me to have the best.
Reply to
Derrick Fawsitt

I wonder where this will end. The carriers are scrambling for new customers at rates that hardly generate income; meanwhile driving the land line carriers into the ground. The only thing generating income seems to be mobile phones.

I switched to voip with unlimited (US/Can) calling, plus a softphone number, plus a toll free number for

Reply to
Pepperoni

Is it really that expensive in the UK? In Germany it retails for appr.

100£ and I find it worth its price. If there is a lot to save, you can probably order it from a German dealer.

There are still some firmware bugs related to the more odd functions and the documentation could be better, but the overall quality is very good.

Tor

Reply to
Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

You should try to call via VoiP from an ordinary analog telephone to another ordinary analog telephone. I have only a 256k internet speed and I didn't have any audible problems. If you want take a look on

formatting link
and see how this company, which implements VoIP and WiFI technology, offers you the latest technology in communications and saves you money on domestic and international calls. The only thing you need is your broadband Internet connection and you're ready TO SAVE money! (you don't need a computer).

Please check out this opportunity for complete details at:

formatting link
or E-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com with any questions.

Best Wishes, Supreme Voip

Reply to
supreme voip

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.