from VoIP " 1899. com " ???

Reply to
HL
Loading thread data ...

In message of Wed, 6 Apr 2005, HL writes

Yes!

Reply to
David Floyd

Uzytkownik "David Floyd" napisal w wiadomosci news:BhWsjV8pV5UCFwgb@127.0.0.1...

did you using linksys pap2? i don't think so.. pap2 doesn't work correctly..

Reply to
DZIKU

In message of Wed, 6 Apr 2005, HL writes

Yes![/quote:6e6bfaba75]

*David*

I'd like to ask you a big favour. Can you send me screens from your

configuration account Voip 1899.com - of course without your login

and password.

I have a problem - the person I'm calling can hear me while I cannot.

Reply to
HL

I'm not able to do that, but this might help:

formatting link
Also you might get a better response from our friends in uk.telecom

David

Reply to
David Floyd

Is this one of those UK dialaround services that requires you have a UK landline before they'll give you an account? Two things that I noticed right away which are ridiculous:

1) They are charging a 3p per call "connection fee", even on VOIP calls? Seems silly, especially considering the fact that they are quoting their incoming termination providers as the reason for raising costs. Terminating incoming calls via VOIP is, for all intents and purposes, likely to be almost "free" for them. 2) They are trying to pull the wool over your eyes and quoting different rates for USA landlines (.5p/min) and mobiles (3p/min, 6x as much!) which in fact calling a mobile in the US cost nothing more. I'd be surprised if they have an accurate system to even determine if it's a mobile you are calling since there is no fixed (i.e. 07xxx = mobile) numbering system for mobiles here. If anyone actually has been billed 3p/min for calling a "USA mobile" I'd question the charge with them and ask to please prove how they determined this was a mobile phone you were calling.
Reply to
B.M. Wright

It's even worse on that page - they are charging INFINITELY more for US mobiles vs. landlines.

United States [FIX] 0.0 United States [MOB] 3

As B.M. says, it is a load of crap, since there is no difference in their costs. They're just doing it because UK customers are used to pay more for calling mobiles.

In China, Hong Kong, and Singapore, other places where like the USA termination fees are the same, they charge the same high rate (3p/min? What is this, 1998?) for both fixed and mobile. This differential charging is only present on calls to the USA. But frankly, outside of fixed-line calls to the UK, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Singapore, and the USA (where is Canada on their list?), their rates are so high that it hardly matters - why would anyone use them anyway?

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Using VoIP? Sure. The provider I use charges US$0.02 (about 1p) per minute. And remember that for purposes of charging and termination, US mobiles and US landlines are equivalent. Other than some US mobile cutomers who get free calls to other customers of the same mobile provider, nobody in the US pays a different rate to call mobiles vs landlines. You can't tell by the number which it is, only by looking it up in a database.

Yup, again the provider I use (gafachi.com) charges for usage only, no other fees.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

No they do not charge 3p connection fee for VoIP generated calls. That charge is for 1899 calls or calls via their Geographic access number. There is 'NO' connection fee for VoIP calls.

Your looking at the wrong rate table for VoIP calls via 1899. Take a look at

formatting link
DF

Reply to
David Floyd

Can YOU call a US mobile from a UK landline for less than 3p per minute (even using VoIP).

On reflection; yes. There is sipgate.co.uk which charges 1.5p per minute - and there are NO monthly charges, so that's all you pay. Do you have _no monthly charges_ in the US for a VoIP service?

DF

Reply to
David Floyd

I am already aware of your repeated statement, as are many other people in the UK who call the USA

They (gafachi.com) are a bit mixed up about the types of numbers in the UK!!

a) 3,4,& 5 numbers are not premium and 3 & 4 don't exist. b) London numbers are not 207 and 208, but simply 20. c) 7 (mobiles) are cheaper using 'call1899'. d) 8 numbers are not premium, but special rate and are cheaper in the UK locally.

Otherwise the site looks interesting.

DF

Reply to
David Floyd

I agree on the 08xxx numbers, the fact that most providers can not get the billing straight on this is very annoying. Since some (0800) are free and others (0845, 0870) are very low rates, then you have 0844xx numbers (which vary widely). Most of the providers seem to take the lazy route and lump everything (usually even 0800!) into the same cost as UK mobile phones, which is ridiculous.

Just for the record, you asked about calling the US for

3p/minute with no monthly charges. Easily done through places like
formatting link
(using 0844 directly dialed at 2p/min) or if you want to sign up for some service like
formatting link
the rates are quite cheap there (but, not as good as telediscount, and onetel want you to dial from a fixed landline to get these rates).

Babble.net has 1p/min rates to most places on the pay as you use plan. Their soft phone absolutely sucks though so you're going to end up using your own device (with no support from them if the configuration doesn't work correctly).

Reply to
B.M. Wright

Their site does show that they charge 3p/min to a USA mobile, this is incorrect they charge the same as if it was to a landline.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

As there is no way for them to tell the difference, I'd be surprised if it were otherwise ;-)

Wish we had the US mobile system here, I really resent paying over the top to call one. Of course you have to pay for incoming calls but if we had the same deals as they get there it wouldn't be a problem. My friends in San Francisco pay $40 a month and get about 2000 minutes which they never use all of, even taking incoming calls into account.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I'm glad we don't have the USA system.

I no longer see the point of a contract phone, as I can save loads of money by simply using landline/VoIP to landline/VoIP, forget using a mobile except for emergencies. Put the mobile on a PAYG and people have the choice whether to use a landline and call your landline - usually free - or 2 pence, or pay a higher charge a call a mobile. Why should I pay to receive a call, or have to go out and spend £20 per month on a contract I don't need just to get a certain amount of free incoming calls.

I only call mobiles as a very last resort, I have better things to spend money on instead of mobile call charges whether outgoing or incoming.

The USA got it wrong with their mobile system, thankfully this is something we haven't copied from them.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Because you're the one who wanted the convenience of the mobile. I sure as heck have no interest in paying extra to call someone because the only way they can be contacted is a mobile. It's annoying enough having to deal with all the "what? What did you say? Can you repeat that please? Hang on, I'll go stand by the window..." without also having to pay a financial penalty.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Besides, high costs are really an issue of scarce competition. In Hong Kong, with 6 cellular providers for 7 million people and free number portability, I'm paying US$7.70 a month for the first 300 minutes, and about US$0.0064 per minute for the next 400 (plus US$0.0256 above that). Consumers should pressure their governments into opening the telecom markets, instead of buying the party line of protecting inefficient incumbents through regulation because they provide jobs, install stations serving poor old ladies in faraway places, and all the other BS telcos are so good at spinning.

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.