ISPs and VOIP tantamount to FRAUD?

Why should telephone service bought from your ISP be any more expensive than a one time charge for fancy microphone or inexpensive camcorder? Otherwise isn't the customer being billing twice for the same service(VOip)?

Hasn't Voice transmission over the Internet been built in to the Internet and has been since its very early days (ARPANET)? Isn't this the reason the phone companies have been buying up major ISP's (and sometimes vice versa)? They are aware that if they don't, someday soon there business might go the way of the Encyclopedia - on a couple of CDs. John Doe customer can still use a directory service, which could be kept on a CD but fiber optic /tcp-ip packets have millions of times the capacity of copper wire and that seems to be increasing every year as the technology for splitting bandwidth improves every year.

Haven't phone company lobbyists been wining and dining the FCC and Congress to give them some legal/regulatory cover so the masses won't see their business is more like the Emperor's New Clothes.... a business that collects at least $50 a month from every household could be reduced to collecting $15 a year for an updated Directory CD.

Could some one report here on the capability of the various versions of the freebie software Microsoft calls Netmeeting?

cheers Bob

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob Cooper
Loading thread data ...

Sure. Go buy a microphone and speakers/headset, plug it in and start talking. "Can you hear me now?" -- Well, can WHO hear you?

You haven't called anyone yet. Hmm... Type the phone number into Windows Calculator?

There is a lot more to VoIP then just a microphone and speakers, you need software to encode and compress the data. Next you need to transmit it (this is what your ISP already provides you)

So, now what -- Transmit the data to where? You need something on the other end. If it's another PC, and you're just looking to make a PC to PC call, then I'd suggest you check out Skype, FWD, or any number of other free solutions.

This isn't what most people need though, most people need to interface with the PSTN. This takes hardware and bandwidth, which is what you're paying for. In addition, they need customer service and technical support staff able to handle with the idiots of the world, the folks that truly can't grasp simple concepts like picking up the phone and dialing the number they want to call.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Start Netmeeting 2.11 or 3.01. Click the Call Menu then New. The Place-A-Call window opens. Then (3.01 version) click the Telephone icon. In the To textbox enter the IP address you want to call. If the computer at that address has Netmeeting, an "Incoming Call" window appears and usually the sound card makes a ringing sound. If the other party accepts it then you may converse.

Not complicated at all unless you do not know your address. Thats not difficult either, ipconfig /all or winipcfg /all or similar will give anyone their IP whether its static or dynamic.

If you have netmeeting and know your IP address then try it with a friend.

Reply to
Bob Cooper

Sure. If you're bothered to read my message, you'd have seen that I covered the fact that PC to PC calling is free:

Skype and FWD both overcome the fact that most home users have dynamic IPs, so Netmeeting type solutions aren't useful if you need to call someone without emailing or messaging them first to find out their current IP.

The VoIP solutions that ISPs are selling is a lot more. I covered that as well:

Let me know if you missed any other paragraphs I already covered.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Windows Messenger and (I think) AIM can do voice and video conversations.

Reply to
Hank Karl

Yahoo has excellent voice and video capability.

Reply to
Pepperoni

Isn't dyndns.org still free? Some NAT routers update DDNS automatically.

Reply to
BlueRinse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.