You Need a New Computer

Pat:

The explorer thing has been going on for some time.

Time to look at a MAC ... better operating system and more fun too.

Fritz Messere Communication Studies Department Chair and Professor of Broadcasting and Telecommunications State University of New York at Oswego (office) 315.312.2357 (fax) 315.312.5658

formatting link
[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: If anyone has an older Apple MACintosh, I'd not mind giving that a try and see where I could get with it. The other thing I have considered -- but have not yet been brave enough to try is to go with Linux on the laptop. You see, on my larger desktop computer I have Red Hat Linux (version 7 something) on a partition; when I boot the larger machine, it defaults to Linux _unless_ I tell it to go to Win 2000 instead. I'd not mind going entirely with Linux if I were assured I could get some of my software working correctly. I do NOT need chat windows and all that; but I do need to have X-Windows working correctly. Ditto with any MAC, which would also be a new experience for me. I'd like to be able to get a couple cameras working with no hassles, something similar to to XWindows, and the network configurations correct, etc. And I have seen a couple commercials on television for Dell, with desktop prices of around $499, but I know those would most likely be Win XP, which is okay, I suppose. But with Dell, the new laptops seem to cost more. Good ideas, in any case. If anyone wants to contribute to a 'computer fund' please remember the PayPal account: snipped-for-privacy@telecom-digest.org , or if you have some older machine you no longer want donations will also be gratefully accepted. PAT]

Reply to
Fritz Messere
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.