Wireless Woes

I suppose you tried a different pci slot?

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

People, I need your help... I have been trying to solve this problem for a week, to no avail.

The players are: a Linksys WRT54G access point, a Dell Truemobile 1150, a Buffalo PCI-to-PCMCIA adapter, a Compaq Presario laptop and an OEM desktop (with a MSI-6570 motherboard).

The deal is that the Truemobile connects normally to the access point from the laptop (Win XP Home) but it cannot even see the access point when installed on the desktop (Win XP Pro)!

I know the access point works. I know the Truemobile works. I know the adaptor works because I have tested it (with the same card and access point) on another older desktop [a Pentium II with Win XP Pro (no comments please)] :-). The Truemobile is recognized by the OS, so there are no DisableISAToPCIRouting etc. problems, no yellow exclamation marks etc. All hardware has the latest drivers and firmware. I have tried the Truemobile drivers. I have tried the Orinoco drivers. I flashed the truemobile to orinoco using the instructions found here

formatting link
I have posted in forums. I have cried out "WHAT THE F*** ALREADY!" (in Greek) 10^N times. But the access point remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop. Please help me!

Reply to
Spyros N.

Isn't the Dell Truemobile 1150 a wireless notebook card?

Yes

If so, what do you mean by saying that "it cannot even see the AP when installed on the desktop?" How do you install a notebook card on a desktop?

The pci to pcmcia adapter allows you to use a pcmcia type card in a desktop.

Spyros N. wrote: People, I need your help... I have been trying to solve this problem for a week, to no avail.

The players are: a Linksys WRT54G access point, a Dell Truemobile 1150, a Buffalo PCI-to-PCMCIA adapter, a Compaq Presario laptop and an OEM desktop (with a MSI-6570 motherboard).

The deal is that the Truemobile connects normally to the access point from the laptop (Win XP Home) but it cannot even see the access point when installed on the desktop (Win XP Pro)!

I know the access point works. I know the Truemobile works. I know the adaptor works because I have tested it (with the same card and access point) on another older desktop [a Pentium II with Win XP Pro (no comments please)] :-). The Truemobile is recognized by the OS, so there are no DisableISAToPCIRouting etc. problems, no yellow exclamation marks etc. All hardware has the latest drivers and firmware. I have tried the Truemobile drivers. I have tried the Orinoco drivers. I flashed the truemobile to orinoco using the instructions found here

formatting link
I have posted in forums. I have cried out "WHAT THE F*** ALREADY!" (in Greek) 10^N times. But the access point remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop. Please help me!

Reply to
Airhead

People, I need your help... I have been trying to solve this problem for a week, to no avail.

formatting link
have posted in forums. I have cried out "WHAT THE F*** ALREADY!" (in Greek) 10^N times. But the access point remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop. Please help me!

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Yes, the 1st (near the AGP slot), the 3rd and the 5th... I even played around with BIOS settings and IRQ reservations for specific pci slots. No luck.

:-/ After about a week, I'm more or less resigned to the fact that this combination won't work on my machine. I've ordered a new wireless PCI card and I guess I'll have to find another use for the adapter (perhaps on another machine)... Yet, just for the heck of it, I'd like to find out what's been causing the problem.

Reply to
Spyros N.

After Airhead's reply, my answer would be redundant; but for the record, yes, it is possible to access the AP via ethernet, the AP works normally.

"Doug Jamal" wrote in message news:jDQld.22813$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com... I'm just a tad bit confused. In your post, you stated that "the Truemobile conects normally to the AP from the laptop, but it cannot even see the AP when installed on the desktop". Is this correct? If so, my question is this: Isn't the Dell Truemobile 1150 a wireless notebook card? If so, what do you mean by saying that "it cannot even see the AP when installed on the desktop?" How do you install a notebook card on a desktop? Furthermore, what do you mean by saying that the "AP remains stubbornly invisible from the desktop?" Is it not possible to access the AP via ethernet cable?

Reply to
Spyros N.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.