Re: Flash Drives Make any Computer Personal

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I may be mistaken but I do not think it

> is just a simple matter of plugging one of these 'pen drives' into a > USB port. I have one -- I do not use it a lot, it is 62 MB, and about > the size of my thumb. As I recall, when I first installed it,I had to > additionally run a CD which loaded the required 'drivers' onto the > host computer to get it (host) to recognize the USB ports and to get > the 'pen drive' formatted, etc. Have they gotten easier and quicker to > use in recent months?

Are you running Windows 98 or XP? XP generally does not need special drivers and the Flash device will just be recognized as another external drive. 98 generally does require drivers.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I have a Win 2000, a Win 98, and thanks to a good friend of the Digest I also now have a Win NT laptop from 1995-96. (Unisys, Aquanta for anyone interested, which replaced an IBM Think Pad which started life as Win 95 in 1996 at the factory, but then was converted to Win 98 at my 'factory' in 2005, and blew up later the same year, about a month ago.) Which reminds me: does anyone know the _cost_ these days of an IBM (easily)removeable hard drive 8.1 GB part number 01K9735. This was the original one which was in the machine (you pop open a door on the back of the laptop, then slide the hard disk into place firmly). Someone tried to tell me that because of its age and the rarity of these older IBM Think Pads (this one was in a model 770-ED) a replacement hard drive would cost BIG $$ but you know me: if anyone happens to have any spares I'd appreciate knowing about it. I had to run a driver disk with the Win 2000 also on the 'flash device' and also on the Win 98 as well. They sure do want people to buy newer computers, don't they? PAT]
Reply to
Joseph
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.