WTB harsh envir motion

I'm looking for a motion that will work in a damp basement. This is the third one to replace in two years. The contacts keep getting messed up from the moisture. Preferably something ADI sells thats dependable . Thank you in advance Dave

Reply to
Noweldrecumbent2
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
Carl Carlson

Dave,

As Jack Stevens already mentioned, Crow has some reliable outdoor rated detectors. I've used Crow detectors with good results in outdoor locations. We sell a fair number of their "D&D" model online. So far none have come needed warranty service.

Here's a URL for detailed specs on the unit. Prices on the site are retail. Dealer price will be between 20% and 25% less, depending on your volume.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Genius D&D hands down.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

P.S. I've got government clients that buy these for some pretty harsh environments.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

ADI shows 2 in North Phoenix, 3 in Tucson, and 33 of them in the Reno Hub based on the on-line interactive inventory.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Oops. Meant Crow D&D. Genius is a different motion entirely by Crow, and yes ADI has D&Ds in stock.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Enough already. You are the dungeon master.

Jebus.

Reply to
Clancy Wiggum

Ha, my voltage spike inflicts 2000 damage points on your integrated alarm system welding multiple contacts closed including the relays in your motion sensors. You earn one experience point.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Glad you got it, fellow geek. :-))

Reply to
Clancy Wiggum

Your "volume" must suck.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Noweldrecumbent2

Yes, an extreme power surge or lightning strike can cause a motion relay to stick.

Dave

Reply to
Bob La Londe

In this area there aren't many basements. I don't understand how an intruder would gain entry. Are the basements totally underground or are the small windows slightly above ground level that would allow unwanted access? In any case an outdoor motion like the Bosch OD 850 (available at ADI) might work.

Reply to
Just Looking

We don't have many basements in South Florida either. If you had one it would just fill up with alligators anyway. :^)

All kidding aside, where I worked in Connecticut for many years almost every home and business has a basement. Most have small casement type windows. They're large enough for an average adult to gain entrance.

In recent years builders have been using cheap, snap-in windows for basements. The entire window can be removed by pushing up on two small spring clips. Unfortunately, the springs are so weak that it's often possible to remove the window from the frame by simply pushing on the upper stile.

Because these windows are so flimsy and because of the way they're held in place, installing standard magnetic contact sensors can be problematic. One alternative is to use a device from GE Security called a BB1-GS "Barrier Bar". This is a square vinyl shaft that looks from the outside like a burglar bar. It is actually a poressure sensitive switch held in place by the spring-loaded "bar." Any attempt to dislodge the window or enter through it will pop the bar loose, triggering the alarm.

Some companies like to use alarm screens which can be made to precisely fit the window opening. When using an alarm screen the window manufacturer supplied half-screen is discarded.

Both screens and Barrier Bars have the added advantage over magnetic contacts that they can protect the window while it's open. In a damp basement this can be a significant feature for the homeowner. If you run into this situation you might want to discuss these options with the customer.

Though I've used more of the Visonic, Crow and Paradox detectors, I've sold a fair number of the Bosch OD850 and they've been at least as good. I have details on them at the following URL:

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Basement windows above ground. Two got kicked in at our shop here. The motion caught it before going on the fritz two weeks later

Reply to
Noweldrecumbent

Our company is in a bad area. You would think with six IP cameras mounted outside, and signs everywhere they would stay out. Three attempted break ins with four months. They must think we keep gold in their :-)

Reply to
Noweldrecumbent

A few years ago in Windsor, CT, there was a series of break-ins via basement windows. There were enough of them that the police set up a task force to catch the perps. It turned out to be a father-son team. Apparently dad was either too big or not agile enough so he sent his young, teenage son in through the window. The boy then let his dad in and they would ransack the place. They finally caught them.

The events caused a lot of people to start calling alarm companies. We used to foil residential basement windows (just the utility type windows I described earlier; not full size, multi-pane windows). I don't recall how many systems we sold in the area at the time. We were always busy anyway. I do recall that the town looked as though it was hosting an alarm convention. It seemed as though there was an alarm company truck in every other driveway some days.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It's amazing what they come up with anymore. I remember when a block wall had a hole punched in it right next to the rear door of a dairy mart account we had they crawled on the floor to the cigarette rack, the ir tripped inside fortunately. Dave

Reply to
Noweldrecumbent

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.