PIR Motion Detectors

Does anyone know if it is possible to circumvent a motion detector with hairspray? I am assuming this would work with a dual technology motion as well because it takes both technologies to trip. Please let me know. Thanks

Reply to
meyers95
Loading thread data ...

If by "circumvent" you mean "melt", then hairspray and a lighter will do a fine job.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Where are you attempting a burglary tonight? You assume incorrectly.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Are you the same idiot wanting to know how to defeat a TLM?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yes. You must use Volumizing Alberto VO-5 in the aerosol can (not the pump). Spray it in front of you as you walk through the protected area. The VO-5 cools the air as it volumizes your hair thus preventing the infra-red energy of your cranium from escaping. Not only will you cheat the sensors, you'll look good while you're doing it (with every hair in place). One word of caution though: If the area's too big, you may wind up coming out of the other end looking like Elvis on a bad hair day.

If you spray it on your stocking mask it will also help to keep it straight so the "bun" doesn't wind up at the side of your head where it just looks too weird (avoid smoking while wearing the mask).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Yes and its something the manufacturers are hesitant to talk about

The procedure is grab the hairspray can and smartly smack it against the motion detector, with enough hits the thin plastic motion casing will break

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Hair Spray? How old are you? Let's assume it did work for a moment. Explain how you would deploy the hairspray without the can, your hand and the rest of your carcass being attached to the hairspray can entering the protected area? And the second part of the dual tech is going to love that metal can. For the record it is an x,y graph with delta temp and delta time for the first part and doppler rf microware for the secord. The circuits of the pyrolytic element adjust sensitivity to the ambient temperature. If you try to defeat an alarm system from the detector level with your technique (or most any other) you'll have a long time in prison to get your degree in physics so this will all make sense.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Gov Arnold got mud all over himself in that Predator movie, then the alien's infrared couldn't "see" him. I would get mud all over my body first and then use the hairspray as a back up motion difuser.

Reply to
Bif

I think you could have thought out of the box with this one, I doubt the OP is talking about when the system is armed (surely!). Several years ago, the Police believed that a member of staff in a store had sprayed the detectors in the office during the day with some form of coating that masked the detectors. Then had fitted magnets to the contacts. Locked up the store at the end of the day, and then came back in the middle of the night and emptied the safe of £13,000. Obvioulsy the alarm log showed that no one had unset the alarm and there were no activations. They never quite got to the bottom of that one.

Reply to
SantaUK

Just goes to show you that halfass security works half the time. A properly designed and installed solution using antimasking PIR's, BMS door contacts, line security, a secured CCTV system, and two factor electronic access control can solve almost all security issues.

Reply to
J.

I guess that is a common misconception that the police have some ideas about how alarm systems work. Truly they don't and have no real reason to know. I am curious how this staff member emptied the safe. A safe has a UL rating for fire only or burg and fire. Usually a TL or TTL etc for burg. Check the label next time you see a safe for that rating label. A TTL-30 on an older safe would be for high value items, recent UL nomenclature for ratings have changed a bit. You don't mention how the safe was defeated. I am thinking outside the box here. A motion detector by itself or by setting a feature and timer inside the alarm panel can sense and report a "block" by the simple inadvertant stacking of boxes etc or "hair spray" for that matter, and this is a feature even on the lowest end of the price spectrum. I have seen all sorts of coating spread on lenses of cameras and motion detectors but even with minium attention the alarm self generated trouble reports were dispatched on properly and the problem corrected. A motion detector by itself is not adequate protection for a high value safe. That type of safe is generally protected on all 6 sides by different types of sensors that are a real pain to install. Real safe contacts are a super pain to install and are unlike typical door position switches. Once properly installed I will give you all the magnets you care to have and all the time you think you'll need to try and defeat it. Unfortunately you'll only get one shot becuase it will trip the second you get any magnet anywhere near it (or the circuit won't set if disarmed), notwithstanding the capacitance alarm and motion detector. Trust me capacitance alarms are sensitive enough to detect a rat pissing on cotton. We haven't even mention vibration sensors and vault sound alarms. I suspect that for the incident you mention the safe was emptied during regular hours and "discovered" the following day. I have seen that ruse too of empty safe and no out of window O/C in everything from small gas stations and dry cleaners to big grocery and department stores. In those similar cases the difference was in every case the police didn't buy the alarm didn't go off (a.k.a. the dog ate my homework excuse) and staff members all went to jail save one who got fired after paying back the money (she deposited the stolen money in her cousin's bank account the day after the "burglary" - yes, that was a gas station attendant).

"SantaUK" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Reply to
Roland Moore

Reply to
Everywhere Man

A facility was broken into and the integrator told us someone on the inside spayed hairspray or another substance on the unit to prevent it from going off later that night, during the break in.

Roland Moore wrote:

Reply to
meyers95

Thank You for the help. This is what i was told probably happened, just trying to verify if this is legit.

SantaUK wrote:

Reply to
meyers95

Have your alarmco install anti-masking motion detectors.

|
Reply to
Crash Gordon

I checked the paper last week and luckily a burglary was averted due to no coupons!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.