Need Design Project Advice

Hello everyone,

I am an electrical engineering student working on my senior design project and what my group and I came up with was a security system to monitor activity in a new building's design area. So far I have developed a motion detection algorithm using MATLAB and a webcam, however, we will be using actual security camera's for the design.

My question to anyone is what would be the best way to connect a minimum of 8 camera's to a PC so that I can implement my algorithm on them. I would need it to do is be able to select which camera I want to check for motion (each camera having a unique device number) and use MATLAB. With the research I have done so far, most of the camera's that fits our budget have RCA cables.

I am not looking for someone to do my project for me, just some advice.

Any idea's would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
kfmuelle
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
??

Reply to
sp1ke

Thanks for the quick response. The 8 channel cards Ive researched wouldn't take RCA cables. I did see some RCA to BNC converters, but they were $50 for 1.5 feet which doesn't fit into our budget.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Reply to
kfmuelle

Radio Shack can sell you RCA to BNC connectors. about $5.00 each

James B

Reply to
J Barnes

RCA and BNC connectors are very inexpensive. So is coaxial cable. Use ordinary RG59 cable for common CCTV applications like this. Don't waste money on RG6. The image quality will be identical.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

try radio shack

formatting link

Reply to
sp1ke

formatting link

oops you prob need these ones.

formatting link

Reply to
sp1ke

I wonder if that would have the dll support and documentation needed for him to write his own code?

Reply to
CWatters

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.