Motion detector placement

In some continuing education tests I took a few years ago there was a question about motion sensor placement. They were teaching that corner mount was an incorrect placement for a motion sensor. What do you guys think about that? There sole reasoning was that spiders set up webs in corners and will cause false alarms. IN the past I have used a lot of corner mount locations for motion sensors and have had a falsy or two from spider activity in a house where the people were slobs. Now I think about that when I place motions. Corners are sometimes the best place but now I take into consideration the building and the people and will they keep the place clean or not. I use fewer corner mount locations now because of those CEU's.

Reply to
KingFish
Loading thread data ...

RHC: Claims of spiders setting off the motions are IMO the classic excuse of alarm companies that either 1-don't know what caused the alarm and are unwilling to investigate, or 2- those who use cheap shit motions for their installs. If you use quality motion detectors (often involving two different technologies), AND they are properly sealed at all points against entry by insects, AND they ARE corner mounted where they don't look directly at outside windows, you should have no problem (even in homes full of spiders). In 15 years in the business I have yet to see an alarm caused by insects of any sort. I'm sure it could happen, but that would be way down on my list of possible causes ...slightly lower than "the owner put a hex on the alarm system".......

Check wiring problems, check board height adjustment, check microwave sensitivity, check heating vents blowing directly on the motion, check wind blowing the curtains on a hot day when the window may be open at the same time. If you can't solve it after changing the motion out for a better one, then relocate. False trips on a motion can often be very difficult to determine the exact cause, so check everything and eliminate all possible potential causes.....

Reply to
tourman

RHC: Claims of spiders setting off the motions are IMO the classic excuse of alarm companies that either 1-don't know what caused the alarm and are unwilling to investigate, or 2- those who use cheap shit motions for their installs. If you use quality motion detectors (often involving two different technologies), AND they are properly sealed at all points against entry by insects, AND they ARE corner mounted where they don't look directly at outside windows, you should have no problem (even in homes full of spiders). In 15 years in the business I have yet to see an alarm caused by insects of any sort. I'm sure it could happen, but that would be way down on my list of possible causes ...slightly lower than "the owner put a hex on the alarm system".......

being in Canada the cold kills most bugs so your experience dosens't count in this case. ;) Now Florida or Texas is a good place for bugs setting off alarm stories. besides not everyone can afford those hundred dollar motions.

Check wiring problems, check board height adjustment, check microwave sensitivity, check heating vents blowing directly on the motion, check wind blowing the curtains on a hot day when the window may be open at the same time. If you can't solve it after changing the motion out for a better one, then relocate. False trips on a motion can often be very difficult to determine the exact cause, so check everything and eliminate all possible potential causes.....

then, like me, you too would have failed that question.

Reply to
KingFish

RHC: Actually, your comment about bugs in the southern states might change things. In Canada, we don't have huge tropical bugs to deal with here, only small spiders and things like ants. Perhaps if one of those HUGE bugs I once saw climbing on a palm tree decided to climb on a motion, it might just set off the unit (that is, it the weight of the bug didn't cause the motion to fall off the wall....:))...(now I know why one in seventeen people in Florida REALLY have a reason to carry a concealed weapon......)

But corner mounting, I see little if any problem with that, other than what Doug has indicated...people piling crap in front of it. I don't do any commercial work, but homeowners often move bookcases in front of the motion, allowing cats to climb within a few feet of the device (a definate no-no for any motion)

Reply to
tourman

I avoid corners when possible for that reason; what I started doing a while back when I really need to put one in a corner, was to place it on the wall about 6 inches off the corner . That way, I get all the bang, but am somewhat removed from cobweb city. Seems to work pretty well.

Reply to
alarman

-are you using the angle [corner] mount holes on one side of the pir with that 6" trick? or is the pir mounted flat against the wall?

Reply to
KingFish

I avoid installations where they can't afford a cleaning lady/man/hubby.

Then again cleaning people have a tendency, somehow, to knock magnets off windows...so you can't really win.

:-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

got one where the robot vacuum cleaner keeps knocking the snap on cover off a ademco surface mnt. on a sliding glass door. May have to switch to a screw on cover like a GRI.

Reply to
KingFish

The detector is angled on the wall.

Reply to
alarman

I like to use the 360's when the conditions are right and there are obvious traffic paths. In some senerio's, it makes more sense to dedicate your coverage to these areas rather than looking over a large area that really isn't vunerable to any theft but may have issues that can cause false alarms. Sometimes the industry trys to cover to much with to little. The

360's eliminate the corner problems, stacking problems, etc. When ceiling heights fall within the specs for the 360's, they can be placed in aisle ways, in front of critical interior doors, cash registrers, safes, closets, bottom or head of stairs, hallways, areas with alot of glass, etc., so they fit in either the commercial or residential environment. It is easier to indentify and correct/control a false alarm issue when the coverage is more direct. I still use the conventional motions, as well, but they are dual tec or pet immune only. The cheapies that come in some of the kits get tossed. With any motion, you will still have to be concerned with reflection and heating/cooling issues amoungst other unfriendly conditions. Other than warehouse type applications, I don't believe that bugs are as big of a problem as some might want you to think. Always, always consider power requirements and the loss of as a potential false alarm issue.
Reply to
Bob Worthy

Or move the contact to a higher location. A robot is what....2" off the floor. Sounds like you're lucky that the robot is the only thing causing trouble. Over the long haul contacts usually don't last when installed that low. Musta been a carpet run or up from the basement.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.