Wire prices

I never disbelieved you....and I still think it's dee dee dee. The device in the box is already grounded by the ground in the romex, to ground a non-conducting plastic box is wacko....like grounding the wooden stud it's nailed to would be.

| >

| > | >>>Roland Moore wrote: | > | >>>

| > | >>>>18/7? I have heard of 18/6 for readers and use it often. 18/7? Are | > you | > | >>>>counting the drain? | > | >>>

| > | >>>Yeah. We have "weird wire" here. Fire cable comes in "odd" | > conductors. | > | >>>18/3, 18,5, 18/7, etc. That's because CAN/ULC-S524 (Installation | > | >>>Standard for Fire Alarm Systems) requires every device backbox be | > bonded | > | >>>to ground. Ask "FireTek". He's the expert. | > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >> even the plastic ones? :) | > | >

| > | >

| > | > CSA plastic boxes have a ground lug. And yes, you have to bond all | > back | > | > boxes to ground. | > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

pointing out exactly where this ground lug is. I have not

able to snow him deeper than Denver's airport.

there for convenience in connecting stuff. If the

be used. That is of course absurd.

My so called "original gaff" had nothing to do with the "lug must always be used". It referenced a section of CAN/ULC-524 (Installation Standard for Fire Alarm Systems) which *requires* all fire alarm device back boxes be "bonded to ground". Oh, and by the way, a CSA approved plastic gang box of any variety must have a ground lug. And guess what else?? All components associated with running of cable and the cable itself must be CSA approved to be used in Canada.

In your continued efforts to discredit me you've used every dirty trick in the book, but you have yet to PROVE anything by them. You've fabricated outright lies about me as well. What does this "say" about you, Robert?

Where do I work Robert? What's the name of the company? Put up or shut up.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Probably because you "checked" CAN/ULC-524 and know I'm right but just won't admit it. C'mon, Robert. Here's your chance to *really* prove I don't know what the heck I'm talkin' about.

goes way over your head.

You don't know anything about flying either.

You weren't there. Heck, I was and I don't even really know what happened.

high rise buildings, etc. If there were one shred of

who know him. After he started calling my suppliers in

checked with every major supplier in and around

Burnaby (where he says he is) and Vancouver. The

local (to him) forum. No reply.

And I've already explained the reason why about twenty times. This is proof positive that you really don't read well.

the area who said he had once worked their briefly but

Wrongo. (Or wrong "Olson").

There was no "choice" involved. It never happened.

That may be. How many "Robert Bass'" are there "out there"?? Even living in the same great State of Florida? Ever hear of "Bobby Bass"?? You signed an affidavit stating you were *not* that individual so you could re-mortgage your Dad's house.

the great projects he claims he has.

Heh... "Assuming" again, are we?

A phrase more appropriate to your own character.

Reply to
Frank Olson

You mean I don't have to ground the wooden stud...... All this time I been wasting my time and energies making sure I had the proper grounding.

Norm Mugford :^)

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Those look like expensive back boxes.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Only if you shake the extra electrons out of the wire first before screwing it down.

Reply to
Roland Moore

And don't foget to put the nail guard over the ground connection to the stud.

Reply to
Roland Moore

One reason I can see to use a grounding screw in a plastic box would be if the ground screw was bonded to a tapped metal hole meant to secure the device or metal blank to be attached to the box. The Carlon 4-0 boxes I have are made that way. js

Reply to
alarman

You'd think by now you would have finished one installation. I mean really, that Photo Hut must be challenging for you. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I said there is a reason for it. In most cases it's unnecessary.

I checked. You're right. I must have been confusing you with another idiot.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

you never took time to understand why there are so much law for electrical wiring..

all of this is to protect you,and everyone else of being zapped by a faulty electric device....

"Crash Gordon" a écrit dans le message de news: 458b7296$0$25782$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net...

Reply to
Petem

every box sold here are about the same..

I am pretty sure the law in the state are different about grounding,here ,if you don't screw your ground to the box you wont pass inspection...

"Roland Moore" a écrit dans le message de news:

458bf6fa$0$5262$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...
Reply to
Petem

I've been doing much more then one,and my average job is about 20 time more complex of any of the big job you pretend you've done...

but now big bAss what can you say about the link I provided ? no commentary?

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: cNudnbCxpKJw9RHYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Petem

Yah ground a metal cover might make sense. But grounding a plastic box when the installed device is already grounded does not.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Doesn't Monster Cable make that stuff...100% electron free wire/cable...sure they doo, costs like 10 bucks a foot.

| >

| > | >>>Roland Moore wrote: | > | >>>

| > | >>>>18/7? I have heard of 18/6 for readers and use it often. 18/7? Are | > you | > | >>>>counting the drain? | > | >>>

| > | >>>Yeah. We have "weird wire" here. Fire cable comes in "odd" | > conductors. | > | >>>18/3, 18,5, 18/7, etc. That's because CAN/ULC-S524 (Installation | > | >>>Standard for Fire Alarm Systems) requires every device backbox be | > bonded | > | >>>to ground. Ask "FireTek". He's the expert. | > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >> even the plastic ones? :) | > | >

| > | >

| > | > CSA plastic boxes have a ground lug. And yes, you have to bond all | > back | > | > boxes to ground. | > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

uh, ok...the ground wire from the source goes on this lug along with the ground strap from the device in the box.

Reply to
Don

Ok if you take a good look at the picture in the link I provided you will see that any device screw to the box will be grounded even if there is no place to place a ground to the device,many electrical device doesn't have a ground log,and are grounded by the screw connected to the metallic box (when its a metallic box) but on plastic box there is no grounding unless you ground it by the metallic part in it...

in fact you don't ground the box itself,you ground any device connected to it... and that make sense... one device that come to mind just here is a light switch,you don't have a ground log to those device,and if it fail and become hot,the next time you touch it,and we have cooked Gordon on the menu....unless you put that damn ground in that crazy plastic box...

was that clear enough?

or another device,a pull station,something we can relate to,after all we are alarm professional,well most of us are,some are just online part seller let say a light switch is just beside the pull station and the plastic box that was used for it was not grounded,but the metallic plate in front of the switch touch the pull station,and the switch fail,if you ground that plastic box,you just maybe save the life of the next user of the light switch,its not supposed to be used,we never expect anyone to make such a bad job in electricity,that the ground in our plastic box for our fire alarm system is the path that electricity will take to trip a faulty lighting circuit,but let just say that the job been done by an electrical DIY,I prefer to do my job right and have a no problem sleeping...

All those electrical laws are there to prevent the impossible to happen and have someone killed by a lethal flow of electron,cause we should never forget that electricity is as dangerous as fire,we are so used to have it in our home that we don't think of electricity as a dangerous thing...would you play with the natural gas line in your home?would you put a plastic tubing in the gas line,and not make sure that the other end of the tube is not grounded to prevent static electricity form building up and create an explosion?

just think of this,and next time you see a plastic box with out a ground,maybe you will understand why its a dangerous thing...

"Crash Gordon" a écrit dans le message de news: 458d50a5$0$500$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net...

Reply to
Petem

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.