Wire prices

Roland,

I know you're an experienced tech but even us old dogs can still learn a few new tricks once in a while. :^)

Here's a simple technique that will allow you to strip small gauge solid core wire all day and never nick the conductor. Grab the insulation with your side cutters just tightly enough to pull it. Do NOT cut through it. Now pull the insulation away from the end of the wire. It will break off without damaging the core. I've done it that way for many years and it never breaks.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

The only time I nick wires is when my dikes are dull. By far I have had more stray strands cause problems then nicked solid wires. And when roughing a house is pulls over the trusses sooooo much more better and faster than stranded.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Im with you Crash, I also use solid core wire. I guess my eyes are not good enough for stranded because its always the little strand I didnt see that causes the false alarm. I buy new wire strippers about once a year to make sure they are sharp.

James

Reply to
J Barnes

Reply to
alarman

I am not worried about ME doing the nick job. It's these guys that you pay on Friday that do that for you. You just get to live with the results. Therefore to avoid all that fun it is easier just to get rid of the problem to begin with. As a practical matter if video and access is the majority of the work you do, then there is not that much of that type of wire to pull or trim.

I think I'll try and find some pictures of the wire runs we have to pull.

Reply to
Roland Moore

There's a solution to that -- training. In my company we taught each new installer how to do it just as we taught them how to do every other aspect of the job. I rarely hired people away from other companies. There was always too much bad training for them to unlearn.

I had one guy who worked with me for nearly twenty years. Len was one of the best installers I've ever known. The guy could wire a brick... concealed. :^) He's still in the business.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Look at the original and notice my foot in mouth regarding shaky hands "Perhaps if you shouldn't" ? That's what I get for being a wiseass.

El Correction: Everywhere Man wrote: I use solid all the way, and never have an issue with nicks. Perhaps you shouldn't hire epileptic installers. Hire a reliable moyul for snipping cables :-)

Reply to
Everywhere Man

here we use solid for everything but 2 thing

access reader cabling and latch/electromagnet...

why? cause we cant find flexible enough solid 18/7 shielded for readers this can be real pain to fish....

and we use 18/2 stranded cause it wont break easily when placed in a current transfer ..

"Everywhere Man" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Petem

Happy Hanukah to you too...

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Everywhere Man

You mean it ain't?

Reply to
Roland

Reply to
Everywhere Man

I take exception! I have all of the social graces, I am just not housebroken yet.

Reply to
Roland

What's a candel bra, is that what Madonna wears?

Reply to
G. Morgan
18/7? I have heard of 18/6 for readers and use it often. 18/7? Are you counting the drain?
Reply to
Roland Moore

Nope, I really mean 18/7 + shield

we use the extra pair not used in the cabling for arming request,or for the second reader data 0 and 1 on in/out doors in the last case the power (black,red) and the led line (brown) are common for both reader and green/white is data for reader in the other pair, data for reader out....

here we have 2 kind of those cable one have red,black,white,green,orange,blue and brown,the other one (with much more thicker jacket) have the same colour scheme but the last one is white with black spot..

"Roland Moore" a écrit dans le message de news: S4Mgh.45233$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com...

Reply to
Petem

Yeah. We have "weird wire" here. Fire cable comes in "odd" conductors. 18/3, 18,5, 18/7, etc. That's because CAN/ULC-S524 (Installation Standard for Fire Alarm Systems) requires every device backbox be bonded to ground. Ask "FireTek". He's the expert.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Roland Moore

even the plastic ones? :)

Reply to
Don

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.