Removing wireless mounting tape from vinyl windows?

What is ths safest, easiest way of removing tape residue from white vinyl window frames. I'm wiring a 2001-built home that had ademco

5816's on every window, and there are a LOT of windows!

Any good tricks? I'm concerned about experimenting with chemicals because I don't want to stain the customer's window frames.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
alarmnow
Loading thread data ...

We install temporary alarms due to our back log of installations. With these temporary systems, we use a lot of double sided tape to place sensors. In removing these, we have found that lighter fluid seems to work best to remove the adhesive left behind by the tape.

Reply to
r.segrist

Lighter fluid? Don't know if its the same stuff, but mineral spirits smells the same. I know we used it for removing adhesive recently when we were doing a glue down hard wood floor in our new house. Worked pretty good.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

WD-40 will remove the adhesive without harming the vinyl. js

Reply to
alarman

I use denatured alcohol, it leaves no residue. I also use it to clean window frames before installing sticky contacts...particularly on bare (un-colored aluminum frames which usually have that oxide shit on them).

Reply to
Crash Gordon

There's some stuff I've seen at Home Depot that's supposed to remove that price sticker type adhesive. It would probably work on the double sided tape on vinyl too, since price tags are put on just about every type of material. Check it out first. Scrape off as much of the tape as you can with something softer than the vinyl ...... like maybe a flat sharp piece of wood. Then try whatever remover you're going to use on a window, that isn't to obvious first. I'd suggest that you try whatever you're going to use and let it sit for awhile. Sometimes some of these solvents and removers have a deleterious effect, awhile after you first apply it.

Reply to
Jim

Now see ....... ya learn something here every day.

I always wondered what that stuff was called.

Reply to
Jim

And don't be drinkin' it mate...it'll put yer eyes out.

| | Now see ....... ya learn something here every day. | | I always wondered what that stuff was called. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

If you're talking about Goof Off...the yellow stuff...don't use it, it leaves a film.

| > Any good tricks? I'm concerned about experimenting with chemicals | > because I don't want to stain the customer's window frames. | >

| > Thanks. | >

| > Dave | | There's some stuff I've seen at Home Depot that's supposed to remove | that price sticker type adhesive. It would probably work on the double | sided tape on vinyl too, since price tags are put on just about every | type of material. Check it out first. Scrape off as much of the tape as | you can with something softer than the vinyl ...... like maybe a flat | sharp piece of wood. Then try whatever remover you're going to use on a | window, that isn't to obvious first. I'd suggest that you try whatever | you're going to use and let it sit for awhile. Sometimes some of these | solvents and removers have a deleterious effect, awhile after you first | apply it. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Yer right Crash Goof Off stinks but I think he's refering to Goo Gone.

Crash Gord> If you're talking about Goof Off...the yellow stuff...don't use it, it > leaves a film.

Reply to
Mike Sokoly

ah,,,I got that stuff too never used it though. I got a garage fulla crapola.

| >

| >

| > | > Any good tricks? I'm concerned about experimenting with chemicals | > | > because I don't want to stain the customer's window frames. | > | >

| > | > Thanks. | > | >

| > | > Dave | > | | > | There's some stuff I've seen at Home Depot that's supposed to remove | > | that price sticker type adhesive. It would probably work on the double | > | sided tape on vinyl too, since price tags are put on just about every | > | type of material. Check it out first. Scrape off as much of the tape as | > | you can with something softer than the vinyl ...... like maybe a flat | > | sharp piece of wood. Then try whatever remover you're going to use on a | > | window, that isn't to obvious first. I'd suggest that you try whatever | > | you're going to use and let it sit for awhile. Sometimes some of these | > | solvents and removers have a deleterious effect, awhile after you first | > | apply it. | > | | >

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

What would YOU use.

You'd have to borrow someone elses credit card or wait till you got one of those phoney one's in the mail.

Me? I'd use my AARP card.

Reply to
Jim

If someone drinks oxide shit they're probably blind already.

Reply to
Jim

That's IT!

But even so, I've never used it so read the bottle to see if it can be used on vinyl.

Reply to
Jim

Goo-Gone works on vinyl, and will remove sharpie ink from non-porous stuff, too. And it doesn't soften plastic or paint that I notice.

Reply to
ranger

I'd use my my platinum FingerHut or diamond RentaCenter card. As for AARP you might be pleased to know Meals on Wheels is now offering a side dish of stewed prunes for their weekend lunches. Grab a drill and come to work.

Jim wrote:

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

I KNOW, I KNOW! Isn't that GREAT? Every Saturday and Sunday, I stand by the front door, waiting for the "food lady" to come. Weekdays are rough though. They don't like to deliver to the job. Every day, I've got to call them and give them directions to where I'm working.

I'm too high tech for you. I'm outta your league. I've gotten away from the quickie double sided tape installs and moved up to doing only high end jobs. I'm using Velcro now.

If you want to make some REAL money, It'll take a few hours, but I'll show you how to use it.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.