Peanut butter and sticky stuff

The message re vinyl windows and sticky tape removal remined me of a trick I learned at my garden club many years ago.

One of the club members was demonstrating her craft: making Christmas wreaths with wire and pine branches, adorned with red boughs, etc.

At the end of her demonstration her hands were covered with spots of sticky pine pitch. We then saw her open up a bottle of peanut butter and apply several teaspoons of it to her hands. She began the usual rubbing we all do when washing our hands, and a few moments later after wiping her hands with a paper towel, her hands were free of the pitch!

I have used peanut butter many times to clean my hands of sticky stuff that I previously removed with laquer thinner, a solvent I used for cleaning my foil brushes. Not the best stuff for human skin.

To remove paper labels with a sticky back, I will use hot water to turn the paper into mush, remove the mush, and then apply a small amount of peanut butter to the sticky stuff, and, with a circular motion with cloth or plastic dish washing pad, I work the peanut butter into the sticky stuff, and its soon gone..

If you find sticky stuff on something, and you know that strong solvents, mineral spirits, etc., may mar the surface of that something, try peanut butter. It's the oil in the pb that does the trick. Especially good for motor oil/grease that gets on your fingernails, cuticles, etc.

Reply to
Charles Booth
Loading thread data ...

But what do you do about the squirrels following you around?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Out here in wild Long Island the deer will lick or hump you to death over a gob of PB - 'cause the elitists won't hear of exterminating them! (squirrels will just eat your soffits and fascia boards for dinner!) Of course-wood is preferable over vinyl.

Crash Gord> But what do you do about the squirrels following you around?

Reply to
Mike Sokoly

So will the blue jays, chipmunks and dem dam potatoes.

| >

| >

|
Reply to
Crash Gordon

Just had a client call me to come and fix the contacts on her vinyl basement windows. She said a squirrel had gotten into her basement. The vinyl windows were the slider type. And you know the little ledge that sticks out on the sash, so you can push the window open and closed? Well they were completely chewed off along with the contacts. Two neat little piles of curled up vinyl chips were on the floor with a magnet by each one. the reed switches were just dangling at the ends of the wires. I don't know if they swallow any of that stuff but if they do, it's gotta hurt comin out.

Reply to
Jim

I can't see getting humped to death from blue jays and chipmunks can you?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Nice tip. I'll have to try that some time. Instead of peanut butter, large grocery stores and most health food stores sell peanut oil in bottles. That should make cleanup even quicker.

It's also terrific with red snapper or Chilean sea bass. Toss a few capers and a teaspoon of fresh, chopped garlic in the pan and braise for 4 minutes on each side. Then pour 1/2 cup of water into the skillet transfer the whole thing into a 450º over for a few minutes until the fish breaks cleanly with a fork and the meat is opaque. Outstanding!

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Are you sure you're not from West Virginia? :)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Have you ever been to Lawnguylan' ?

| >

| >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

My grandkids go to the local church and bring home pine cones. They cover the pine cones with peanut butter, then roll them in bird seed. The birds enjoy a nice treat until the squirrels come by and take the whole thing away.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

We used to do that, way back when I was in elementary school :) It was always fun to hang the cones just out of reach of the cat and watch the poor creature lose her mind with the birds coming and going ;)

Reply to
Matt Ion

Careful... You've just admitted to tormenting cats. Next thing "you know who" will be accusing you of setting their tails on fire...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.