Voip Problems?

I've been switching two or three people over to VoIP a week. It's only been a few months since it started but I haven't had any reports of problems. (Napco panels)

Has anyone had any experiences that are worth mentioning?

Anyone having problems with certain panels or manufacturers equipment?

Anyone connected with a CS have any input from that end?

What's everyone doing with their clients who switch over?

What are you telling those who ask if they should switch?

Any problems with certain CS reporting formats?

What do you hear from others?

Any rumors about what the industry is doing as far as VoIP compatability for equipment? Is the digital communicator dead?

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

I WAS.

At first only had a few problems, missed daily tests...then they got more frequent. Then panels started not testing at all. Had one guy that worked fine for a week, I was even able to remotely program it over voip...then just stopped...went out there and he and I could not get the freeking thing to work at all (he's a computer guru). Switched him to pots line.

I was having people sign waivers and fully explained all the shortcomings that I knew about.

Then I went out to all that I did and put them back on pots lines...not worth the risk. Good thing I only had a handful.

I won't do VoIP anymore.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

You wanna know how voip works with alarms, why not ask those bozos over at Next Alarm. They were pushing that stuff all over the place. They had their hacks come and post all about how they use Next Alarm with voip and it works great, No problems. Yeah, use Next Alarm. Go dump your phone service and go voip cause we can monitor you through voip. Well the system FAILED! Yep, it doesn't work. So where is all their trash talk today? Flushed down the sewer. So bad they even had to provide a full explaination that they actually don't use voip cause it's won't work. Too bad they were let off the hook by replacing one technology with another and didn't have to tell people they screwed up. Wonder if they had to replace at their cost all their private voip hookup adapters with their new adapters? No joke, go to their website and read all about it. You want your alarm to work? Stick with regular POTS service from your local phone company. Jenn

Reply to
Jen...tel

I think I'll sign up for a year at $107.40 and then cancel after a month and get a $164.45 refund

formatting link
Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

You been on vacation or sumpin' ?

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I *hate* design on the fly...makes me anxious and gives me a headache.

Heat? It's 7:30 and its already over 100 and I have to finish a big custom rough-in today...by noon the inside of the house will be over 100 with no air moving because they have the windows closed due to scaffolding on the outside. I hate rough-ins...I can trim-out all day long but roughs kill me.

And to top if off...when I bid the job it had standard aluminum frame windows...only about 11...when we got there last week there where 20 custom wood Pellas...sheet...I spent 3 freekin hours just putting the contacts on yesterday and still have to muck with the magnets...which will have to be those high power flat washer types ($$) because of the way these custom windows were made- WHEN will these custom window manufacturers offer pre-contacted windows!!!???

| | | | | | | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Hmmmm.....Guess I was wrong for beating them up? If I only had a nickel for every industry brain fart. Learn TCP/IP, and get out of the 80's.....

Reply to
Jackcsg

I wish....Been bustin' my a** lately. Been camped out in Philly for 8 weeks on a 3 week project. You know how that goes. Gotta love that design on the fly approach. I should be in and out for a while now. Thank God for the heat though, wouldn't want everything to be nice. Keep in touch.

Jack

| | |

Reply to
Jackcsg

which will have to be those high power flat washer types ($$) because of the way these custom windows were made- WHEN will these custom window manufacturers offer pre-contacted windows!!!???

Great idea........but......we will have to live with their choice of contact and you know it is about $$'s....and.....then there is the warranty issue.......and......potential liabily issues......but....if there were set standards they had to comply with and enforced (haha) it would be great.

| | | | | | | | |

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Heat? It's 7:30 and its already over 100 and I have to finish a big custom rough-in today...by noon the inside of the house will be over 100 with no air moving because they have the windows closed due to:

the smoke from the wild fires you are having?

Reply to
Bob Worthy

OK...then at least PRE-DRILLED ! That wood they use is so fragile its a pain in the buttola to drill and get lined up.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Man...I just came from up there...looks like a volcano spewing fire and brimstone. They may close I-17 to do a back burn...it's a pretty big fire.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

It'd be great I'd even pay the extra couple of bucks per window just to have pre-drilled holes.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

?? What do you use to drill them? I use a brad-point bit on the window wood, and then change to a bellhanger to finish the job up through the header. The hole for the contact is perfect, with no splintering. js

Reply to
alarman

There's a window manufacturer in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver, B. C.) that called us in a few weeks ago to consult on pre-installing contacts. I told them it was a good idea particularly from the standpoint of the home-owner who's concerned with possible warranty issues on some applications. Now that's progress!!! :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

That's EXACTLY how I do it...and I buy a new brad point and bell hanger for each job. Could be the humidity is non-existant out here so the wood is really dry...even putting masking tape didn't help too much...only slightly splintered one of 20. Time consuming being so nervously careful...if I monge one up I end up losing money.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Ohh ye of such limited knowledge....

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Heh which reminds me last year when I was in Phoenix they had a massive fire about 40 miles north east of the city

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Dang, must be like drilling through a soda cracker. Maybe higher speed and less pressure? js

Reply to
alarman

It is...and after a couple of hours I'm dry as a soda cracker too. I made it though..no just gotta do the magnets.

| >

| >> ?? | >> What do you use to drill them? I use a brad-point bit on the window | >> wood, and then change to a bellhanger to finish the job up through | >> the header. The hole for the contact is perfect, with no splintering. | >> js | | Dang, must be like drilling through a soda cracker. Maybe higher speed and | less pressure? | js | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.