the police was dispatched to ... the wrong house

Honeywell systems are so easy to program by keypad that most of my DIY customers opt to do it that way. Napco, on the other hand, is much easier done by PC. Also, the Napco PCI-MINI computer interface is inexpensive ($21 retail) so most of our Napco Gemini systems are programmed by PC. I usually walk the client through the programming process. It takes an average of 20 minutes to program a Napco Gemini P9600 and a little less for a P3200. The smaller panels are even quicker.

Since the vast majority of DIYers don't want CS monitoring, there's almost no chance of one of them causing the kind of problem this "professional" installer did.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

the Op never said if it was professional or diy n*****ts. just keep making shit up like u normally do. basswipe. btw it could have been a trouble condition that was mis ID'd.

Reply to
newb

So it's not possible that Joe DIY in another part of the world fat fingered an ADT panel and is now sending signals to Mary Smith's panel?

| Bass Home Electronics | 941-925-8650 | 4883 Fallcrest Circle | Sarasota · Florida · 34233 |

formatting link
| =============================>

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I don't see how this could be a DIY problem. Most professional alarm companies that use contract central stations have their own block of accounts on their own phone number and their own receiver. I don't know of any central stations in our area that accepts DIY accounts directly. I know there are national companies that solicit that sort of business, but mixing the two business models doesn't seem like a good idea.

Reply to
Roland More

Some people move alarm panels without telling the central station

Reply to
Mark Leuck

We don't really know if his account is contract monitored via a dealer or owned by the central station, If he's contract monitored through a dealer then yes he's doing all the work that the dealer should be doing and if it's through the central station thats another story however it's not their fault someone else is sending on his account number

Either way the CS did the only thing they could do and dispatch, it prevents liability issues in the long run

capturing/verifying

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Well then that will be at least 9 systems that will be sending on each other's account numbers when the fat fingers DIY'ers start programming

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Not in his world, remember to admit they make errors hurts his business therefore all DIY'ers know everything and can program everything perfectly, I'm suprised you haven't noticed this by now

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I've yet to see P1 or Monitronics lock someone out of their panels and it's very rare with ADT but hey it helps you to push panels keeping that illusion going

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Most false alarms are caused by alarm USERS, not by "faulty installations" (or "professional installer" error) as Mr. Bass would have you believe. When it *is* an "equipment problem", it's usually a specific device (like a motion sensor) or some other factor (environmental or the famous: "I just replaced the front door and for some reason I can't arm my system" service call). A professionally installed and maintained monitored security system will provide the end-user with the best and most reliable protection. "Budget" or "Low-Down/Zero-Down" systems don't afford much in the way of personal security either. And *anyone* that says spending a few hours on the phone with some Nimrod in Sarasota, Pokipsy, or "where-ever", is all that's required to install a complete security system is really trying to sell you something (and believe me, it's more than "just" alarm parts).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Sure, it's possible -- just highly unlikely. It is far more likely that some "professional" installer screwed this up.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

If they do, the worst thing the CS can do is send the cops to the old address. I realize this is confusing to you but try real hard and perhaps it will become clear (or at least not entirely blurry) to you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The CS' contribution to the problem is in failing to monitor Caller ID.

No, it doesn't.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yes that is exactly what they do

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The original poster said they didn't receive a Caller ID, that doesn't mean they don't monitor it, Caller ID is not as reliable and consistent as you think

In your world no but in the real world yes

Reply to
Mark Leuck

And we would do the same thing...you'd have to dispatch at where the panel is SUPPOSED to be. Of course a DIYer would know that right?

I'll even dispatch if the people canceled and didn't let us deprogram it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Only because of the numbers involved would I agree...but given equal amount of alarm panels insntalled by DIY or Pro...my money is on DIYers making more errors.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

A DIYer moves into a house that used to be monitored and messes around with programming that's how...of course given the numbers it's more likely some idiot installer somewhere else misprogrammed something.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Then they are idiots.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You don't know what I think. The only fact we have is that the CS says they didn't have Caller ID information. If they did monitor but no ICLID data was received or the data was unreadable, they would have said so. Therefore, it is most reasonable to conclude they are not monitoring Caller ID.

You're the one living in a fantasy world where Bush is leading us to victory after victory and all professional alarms are wonders of modern rocket science, etc.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.