Simon test

Took over a monitronics simon 3. works fine except I can't get it to send test signals. The programming locations for test signals are the same for simon 2 and 3. loc 12 phone 1 reports set to all contact id. loc 16 set to 001 for daily reports. loc 72 set for the time to send. clock set. still won't send tests. Am I missing something? Does monitronics simon have different programming locations? TIA

Reply to
ditto
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Everywhere Man

I was able to program this panel and got it sending alarms to my cs with my acct #. That parts is working. Just can't get to send test signals. ?

Reply to
ditto

It's bad when someone can't program the worlds easiest panel properly

Reply to
Mark Leuck

yea, pretty sad actually. Could be because of the VOIP phone service. But every time I test the system for an alarm it works fine. I would expect the test to work too, even if only intermittently. Maybe I'll try the modem sensitivity setting to see if that makes a difference. Anybody else got any systems communicating over VOIP? Am I wasting my time? Should just tell customer to get POTS?

Reply to
ditto

You'd have to tell him to move to BC. We've got the best POTS here.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Mark, I put one system up experimentally. It's a 738 Paradox Esprit communicating in Contact ID. I can't download it because of the VoIP, but it has sent several alarms and always sends it's daily test signal. However, I still won't use VoIP for alarms (even when it works which is about 50% of the time I'm told by others), for all the reasons near and dear to our heart...:))

The way I look at it, if the client won't spend $19 a month for a landline to keep his alarm system integrity sound, I don't want him as a customer. I know that attitude is "burying my head in the sand" considering the forecast for VoIP, but when you're swamped with too many customers coming through the door anyway, why take on a built in liability.

For once, ADT has gotten it right...don't do it !

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

VoIP is unreliable, at least in my experience. Test fine for a week, then nothing, test for a few days, then nuttin'. I won't connect to Voip anymore...had clients get pots lines.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
ditto

if I had the Simon programmed correctly and the test reports failed shouldn't I get a fail to communicate indication at the panel? So far I haven't seen any indication of a FTC. This makes me think it's not trying to send tests. I'd hate to have customer switch to pots and still get no test reports. :( This voip stuff seems pretty straightforward to me, other than the internet going down I can't see why it couldn't work as a method to report alarms. Phone service can go down too. Just put a UPS on the modem and router and should be close to as reliable as pots. Am I missing something?

Reply to
ditto

IMO, yes ! POTS service in spite of all we rail against the phone company, historically has been very reliable. During a power failure, you can pretty much count on phones still working because the telco powers things their end. It may be because I worked for the telco for 27 years that I feel that way, but phone service IS generally pretty reliable.

The internet however, is not ! Couple that with all the necessary equipment in between...routers, high speed modems, the need for UPS service on most everything in between, and the flakiness of the internet itself, and there is just too much chance for error. We are talking about security services here, not a call to momma !!

The time will come when things will work to that level of reliability. But as I see it, we aren't anywhere near it yet ! I think it boils down to how seriously you take the communication part of the security system. Just as in our business generally, your TRUE security really boils down to how secure the weakest part of the system is. Why build in the inherent weakness of the internet to save $20 a month.....

My take on it anyway.....

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I don't have the tech knowledge to explain it, it has something to do with how info is sent through voip...packets..whatever. All I know is at this point in time it's unreliable with most alarm panels. I won't use it. That being said...if your alarm signals are getting through so should the test sigs...but you never know with voip.

| | if I had the Simon programmed correctly and the test reports failed | shouldn't I get a fail to communicate indication at the panel? So far I | haven't seen any indication of a FTC. This makes me think it's not trying | to send tests. I'd hate to have customer switch to pots and still get no | test reports. :( This voip stuff seems pretty straightforward to me, other | than the internet going down I can't see why it couldn't work as a method to | report alarms. Phone service can go down too. Just put a UPS on the modem | and router and should be close to as reliable as pots. Am I missing | something? | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I'm beginning to see the light. throw in the hackers and crackers and ne'er-do-wells and the internet appears less than worthy as a alarm transmission medium. Thanks for the reality check.

Reply to
ditto

plus I'm getting tired of messing with it. time for pots. gracias

Reply to
ditto

Digital alarm communication formats and VoIP have some basic compatibility problems, some VoIP services and some alarm transmission formats may be better than others and its possible these problems may be eased in the future, but right now putting a UPS on the modem and router will do little more than maintain those incompatibility problems during a power outage.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Here in NY, I don't know if it's Optimum.... Napco or both ... that's doing a good job, but those of my clients that have switched to Voip, haven't had any incompatability problems, after an initial few when VoIP was first introduced. Nevertheless, everyone of my clients who switches over, has to sign a waiver/acknowlegement of possible problems.

Biggest problem I've had is some of the older systems that only dial rotary and some of the systems that I have programed .... touch tone with rotary backup. If the first call doesn't get through, switching to rotary, insures that it will NEVER get through and a fail to communicate notification. Requires a trip or a download to change to touch tone only.

Reply to
Jim

Keep your eye on the daily test signals though!

| > Doug L | >

| | | Here in NY, I don't know if it's Optimum.... Napco or both ... that's | doing a good job, but those of my clients that have switched to Voip, | haven't had any incompatability problems, after an initial few when | VoIP was first introduced. Nevertheless, everyone of my clients who | switches over, has to sign a waiver/acknowlegement of possible | problems. | | Biggest problem I've had is some of the older systems that only dial | rotary and some of the systems that I have programed .... touch tone | with rotary backup. If the first call doesn't get through, switching to | rotary, insures that it will NEVER get through and a fail to | communicate notification. Requires a trip or a download to change to | touch tone only. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

the tests started coming in for the last 3 days so I guess it wasn't my programming ability.:) If it misses one test now I'll suggest going to pots.

Reply to
ditto

I personally wouldn't take the chance. The test signal is a low priority item. What if the system fails to communicate a burg or fire? Tell the customer that if he wants monitoring he must supply a POTS line, or option either a communicator that uses cellemetry or long range radio (if your station is so equipped).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.