Re: LOCKED PANEL

Sorry Mark, my mistake. My post was in reference to Jim's post, and he answered in return. I guess we both misread the message.

RHC

Reply to
tourman
Loading thread data ...

I was joking RHC :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

...sigh......Gawd, first thing to go is your sense of humour....:(((

Some days it doesn't pay to get up !! Just got back from a big IPSC pistol match and shot the worst I have ever done in my life. I swear a moose would have been safe at 10 feet.

...bad day all around....

RHC

Reply to
tourman

Shit that reminds me I haven't shot mine in 4 or 5 years now

Reply to
Mark Leuck

As it turns out, usually I don't even know the client is going or gone until I get a call from the new owner or from the new owners alarm company. If I do get advanced notice, however, I ask them to give me the new owners number or the real estate companys name or worst case, give them my name and number during closing. If that fails, if I'm in the neighborhood, I'll stop and ask or leave a note or card. If I'm already there, and they don't want service, I'll unlock it for them.

I guess that happens occasionally, but when I run into a panel that's locked, I'll call the alarm company for the code. Most times it's given. I always give it, when I'm called by another alarm company. But ..... time is money. If the truck rolls, I get paid. If that rubs you the wrong way, just think about it such that ..... the original owners never paid me for the unlocking service when they had the system installed.

Well, we can never account for the boards that a locked in this manner, but it's not a perfect world. All we can do is shake our head and say it's a shame. But .... that's the breaks. Nothing I can do about it. It doesn't happen with my clients if I'm kept apprised of what's happening.

If I run into a locked board and can't unlock it, and the client wants my service, he pays whatever it takes to get it. I don't get all teary over it or upset that the other alarm company didn't unlock the board .... That's just the way it is.

There's nothing that could be done about board locking now, no matter what. The Genie has been let out of the bottle and there's nothing that can be done to put him back. Some people will take an I don't give a damn stance. Some will go part way. Others will try to work it out. That's what happens in this area and I suspect in every area. You seem to focus too much on the bad ones and .... of course, you never see the other companys who do work it out ..... It seems, the way you're always expressing shock and indignation about board locking and term contracts, in spite of the fact that "everyone else does it", that you think everyone else is bad bad bad and you're the White Knight, who knows that everyone else is wrong and here you are, to the rescue. It's just a windmill. There's nothing you can do about it. But that's alright. You certainly have the option to do and persue what you think is right.

If you unlock boards without knowing if the alarm company is owed money, than you're no better than what you think of people who lock boards and wont unlock them.

If you think it's alright to run a business with out long term contracts more power to you. If you think it's alright to try to convince end users that they'll be able to find someone who wont want them to sign a term contracts .... again, that's just as bad as you think people are who lock end users into contracts and don't give them good service and seek to force them to adhere to the contract.....regardless.

As I say, if the truck rolls, I get paid. I just didn't charge for it when I installed the system.

So I guess your the only company that's surviving in your area. Wow, pretty good!

You wouldn't like me in RL either. I'd probably make you feel like you'd want to pull a gun on me, like your friend Dead Ass did to someone.

I calls em as I sees em ..... here, there ...... where ever.

By the way, ask Jim R what it's like doing business in the NY area. We had a conversation quite some time ago, and I know he could fill you in a lot better in person, next time you see him.

Reply to
Jim

What? Your moose?

Reply to
Jim

What? Your moose?

I hear moose are really ornery critters, especially when they're > > Shit that reminds me I haven't shot mine in 4 or 5 years now

Reply to
Just Looking

Kind of gamey. The anylers are pretty good deep-fried. Kind of like giant pretzels. js

Reply to
Buggs

Gamey ! You mustn't have cooked the meat properly. It's very lean meat so you have to use some fat with it. I ate moose meat almost continuously while starting out on my first full time job in life. We didn't have much money back in those days. Our gang used to get two or three moose every hunt, and my freezer was filled continuously for some 30 years. I remember one stretch of about 10 years where we didn't buy beef at all....

Damn, now that I don't hunt any more, I really do miss moose meat. It makes delicious chutney sliced thin and flavoured.......

Hey Jack, I still have one monstrous set of antlers from the last moose I shot. You can cook 'em up if you want, but you better let your dentist know you'll be visiting after your meal......:)))

RHC

Reply to
tourman

Do you salt them the same way?

Reply to
Roland More

For me that is of no consequence, friend.

You consider it quite acceptable for alarm salesmen to mislead their customers? That explains a lot.

On this we agree. No homeowner should ever sign a Brinks contract.

We agree again.

Yep. Twice.

If people realized how dishonest the company is they wouldn't even allow crooked alarm salesmen into their homes.

Glad you think so.

We agree that customers ought to read and thoroughly understand alarm contract before signing them. The point where we diverge is that I believe alarm companies and their salesmen have a duty to treat their customers with honesty and integrity. You appear to believe that is not important -- that as long as the customer can be duped into signing without fully understanding the alarm company's treachery it's perfectly fine. That demonstrates a lack of personal integrity. Your mis-typing of my name demonstrates a lack of maturity and intelligence. How unfortunate for your vict... err, customers.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

We did the same, except the wording of our monitoring contract was given to us by a friend who was also a competitor. He had already paid an attorney to draw up a "readable" contract. It was his copyright so he was able to share it with me.

The only thing I changed was that after the first year the client could cancel at any time even after renewing and receive a prorated refund of the monitoring charge. I did that to make it more attractive for customers who were unsure if they might move or cancel. It worked. The vast majority of clients re-upped each year.

This is not only excellent customer-oriented procedure. It is also good business sense as the initials show that the customer has carefully read things like the limitation of liability and third party indemnification clauses. It also shows that you have drawn their attention to these matters -- not hidden them in a jungle of minute-print legalese.

Good, but be careful if you use automated translation services. They just translate the words as types -- usually losing most of the meaning in the process. You might want to consider having attorneys who are fluent in each language check the wording.

Many companies like that use high-pressure sales tactics, rushing customers to sign without understanding. Then, when the customer realizes he's been duped, they reply as another gentleman here has, saying it's the customer's own fault for not reading the contract. They gloss over the fact that their own practices are dishonest. The sad thing is that sort of behavior tarnishes the industry as a whole.

As long as the price and terms of the contract are clearly spelled out in readbale print there's nothing wrong with that. We used a similar design approach (full perimeter, backed up with motion and glass break detection) but we charged for the installation up front. Our monitoring fees were $20-22 a month for residential service, including daily test. I never ran credit or employment checks on customers. If they lived in the towns where we did most of our work they could aford our services.

We rarely did wireless because most homes in southern New England are easy to wire. We charged for backup batteries and routinely replaced them during annual service visits if they were over 5 years old.

We charged for service visits after our warranty expired. If the equipment was still under the manufacturer's warranty the visit and the hardware were free.

Heh. Honesty would bankrupt some of the peoploe who post here as well. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sad.

Oh, wait. Were you talking about guns?

:^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Talking to yourself?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Having trouble following a thread, are you?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

What would YOU know about guns

OOOOOOPPPPPPSSSSSS!

Oh that's right, you only know enough to pull one on somebody and threaten them with it. It's called a felony ...... isn't that what you are? A felon?

Yep yep yep! And lookit that. Trying to convince people that you're an honest upstanding businessman. You're a felon. You killed someone. It's well documented how you stole information from people and claimed it was yours. Yeah ..... all those nasty things you've done and you can actually live with yourself eh? Jezzze ....ya know .... since your about to die anyway, why don't cha just find one of those guns and get the job done now and get all the long drawn out suffering your going to do, out of the way.

May as well get it done and out of the way while you have the strength to do it ..... Ya know?

Reply to
Jim

Which explains why you are still are... "Peoploe" beware!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Not as much trouble you have quoting

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.