Brinks

I have Brinks. I have had them so long the contract has expired and I'm paying month-to-month. I would like to drop them and just use the system as a local sound alarm. Will it keep working if I disconnect the phone line????? I know they won't receive an alarm, but the burglar will!!

Reply to
Injun Ear
Loading thread data ...

Your system is not keypad programmable. Do yourself a favor and replace it ASAP.

Thank you

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
KingFish

If you stop paying them for monitoring your system or attempt to cancel the service they will send someone around to collect the equipment (you don't own it, they do). If you disconnect the phone plug on the system (it's usually mounted close to the main control, the system will still try to dial out signals (alarm, tests, troubles, etc.). After several failed attempts the keypads will display a "trouble". If you want to work it that way, you certainly can, but eventually you're going to get a call from Brinks. For what it's worth, the equipment isn't all that expensive to replace and you can probably find a very cost effective alternative by "shopping" with your local friendly alarm dealer.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I'm sorry to say but you got what you ..... over-paid .... for.

You are now the proud possessor ( I can't say owner, because you don't) of usless cheap equipment.

If you really want an alarm system .... replace what you have but DO have it monitored. You're homeowners insurance reduction will most like off set what ever it is that you pay for the monitoring. Likely the monitoring fee will be less than what you were paying Blinks.

Reply to
Jim

Replace it with what??? If I disconnect the phone line, the system should still work with the passcode, shouldn't it? Anyway, I would like to get out of the $30/month they are charging me to monitor it. I'm 68 and retired, fixed income, and with this economy, every little bit saved will help!

Reply to
Injun Ear

"Econommizing on your personal security"... You are in that "unfortunate" age group that's often targetted (statistically speaking). I think you should be "economizing" elsewhere, but then... who am I to say? I've only been in this business for twenty-seven years... Find yourself a freindly local dealer. As Jim mentioned, you've been "overpaying" for the security you have.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Buy an Ademco/Honeywell system on ebay...Any one will do. Even the oldest Ademco systems is far superior than the Brinks system you have. Then contact Safemart.com, they will set you up with $11 per month monitoring. Email me if you need pointers on which system to buy on ebay. Safemart can also sell you a system at cost.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

OK. So now I know what I need. When I first moved into this house, I was trying to get a dial-up internet connection to work and discovered that the phone line was wired in series with the alarm system. (Probably so it will still work even if the phone is off the hook) The only way I could get the modem to work was to take the alarm system out of series and hook it straight. Now, 8 years later, I have a high-speed cable internet connection.

I have found several Ademco systems on Ebay and will probably buy one. I'm handy and I can use Brinks wiring. Just disconnect their motion detectors and the Keypanel and motherboard box and call them. In our other house, I had Brinks installed. They didn't come get their stuff. They just said leave it there for the next owner in case he wants to hook it up. The system in this house was already here when we moved in. All they had to do was activate it. I have replaced the battery in it myself once in order to avoid a 100+ dollar service call. I used the battery out of an extra UPS that I had laying around. Anytime there's a power outage, they will be calling soon wanting to know an ETA for the power company. I just tell them to call the power co. themselves. I went to Safemart's web site and it looks like they charge 9 dollars for monitoring. Brinks is hitting me for $30.26/mo. And once a year, they tack on an extra charge for their taxes. The Ademco's they have on Ebay are almost as much as the ones from Safemart. Thanks, Jim Rojas.

Reply to
Injun Ear

How about this one?? Ademco / Honeywell -4110XM Kit On Ebay for $79

?

Jim wrote:

Reply to
Injun Ear

An educared consumer is Brinks' worst customer...good luck to you.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I would go with the Vista 20P

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

All you have to replace is the keypad and board. Brinks panels are manf. by Honeywell and the cans are identical.

They never do. Just hold on to the old board & keypad in case.

That's not a great idea. You can buy a proper *new* battery for ~ $30.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Too old.

Too much!

Reply to
G. Morgan

I agree but being able to get away from the likes of Brinks...PRICELESS!

Jim Rojas

G. Morgan wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

True. ;~)

Reply to
G. Morgan

OK, Jim and G Morgan. I'm being educated here. Looks easier all the time. So, if I go with a Vista 20P, all I need is the mainboard and the keypad?? I can use all the other Brinks stuff? I have 2 motion detectors, 3 doors, 1 window, a smoke alarm and a fire detector in the attic. I'm sure they're not about to pull out all the wiring and the magnetic switches, but what about the motion detectors and the smoke alarm?

I wonder how much of that stuff Brinks will want back if I cancel them??????????

Reply to
Injun Ear

Correct.

Yes, it's all standard stuff compatible with any panel.

Nope. It's cheaper for them to leave everything behind then to plug holes in walls and match paint.

They never come back to get their stuff. Save the board and keypad for awhile just in case.

Here's a Vista20P w/ 6160 keypad for $139 (excellent deal)

(Item # 170297366372 if the URL breaks)

Note: You'll need the 6160 keypad for programming (rather than the cheaper

6139).
Reply to
G. Morgan

OK, now it remains that I call Brinx and see if I'm not bound by contract or something. I had them install their system over 10 years ago in our other house. When we moved over here, there was already a system in place. They just transferred everything. That has been about

8 years ago. If they'll let me out, I can then buy the Vista 20P I had already looked at the one you refer to on Ebay. But it expires in 5 hours. Maybe he'll list some more.

Another thing. My friend called Brinx a couple of years ago wanting to cancel and they dropped his monitoring fee down to 17 bucks a month. But I have more things hooked up than he does. Seems like they charge extra if you have the smoke & fire alarms.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll probably be back when I start programming! I might monitor it myself with the cell phone if that's possible. Get an alarm, call the neighbors & have them look out the window. Or just call 911 myself!

Reply to
Injun Ear

Good grief.

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.