Press "1" for English

What difference does that make to you? If it takes them longer to learn the language that's their problem. If some business decides to make its phone system easier for Hispanic people to use, that's their decision. It takes nothing away from you.

That's just plain ignorant. Most immigrants don't come here to escape their own culture. They come for opportunity and freedom. They bring their culture with them and, in many ways, improve things along the way. What a boring place this would be if we were all the same.

Frequently expressed right here in ASA.

Becoming part of the "melting pot" does not mean abandoning one's heritage -- or one's language. My wife's family and many of our friends are Brazilian. They all try to learn English as quickly as they're able. Some are more adept at learning a new language than others. School kids learn very quickly but partents, especially those whose jobs are with other Brazilians, ave a much harder time. All of them get to partake of the opportunity and the culture of America in many ways.

What they bring with them is their own cultural heritage and their own language. By learning Portuguese (well, trying to anyway) I've been able to enjoy a more direct contact and better personal relationships with many friends and associates in Brazil. I live there for several months every year. But I make no pretense of abandoning my American culture and no one expects me to do so.

Nonsense! Your "culture" will not be change by the presence of non-English speaking people in this country. There will simply always be some people whose conversations are a mystery to you if you don't bother to learn Spanish. That's your problem and it's not their obligation to help you out.

Heh, for many that is close to nothing at all. I've visited the barios of Mexico city and the favelas of Brazil. You cannot imagine the poverty and despair.

Wrong again. Most want only to work and try to earn a living, just like everyone else who ever came here -- including your ancestors.

The price they pay is the same as your progenetors. They usually have to take menial jobs until they get established. Dishonest businessmen take advantage of them. Some suffer personal discrimination. Most somehow get by, doing whatever it takes to feed their familes and trying to live the "American dream".

You mean it's not?

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

We hold the wall up. If it falls, it will fall on you too. js

Reply to
alarman

Per Robert L Bass:

language that's their problem.

Up to a point.... but part of what makes the USA a better place to live is that we share a common language - which enables us to share more of a common culture.

To the extent that large numbers of people fail to learn that language and have children who also fail, part of the very thing that brought them here is being undermined.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Have you ever watched a Down Easter try to talk to a Texan? :^)

I disagree. First of all, children almost invariably learn English in a matter of months. For example, my two nephews came here about 8 years ago. Neither one spoke more than a few words of English. The older one graduated from high school four years later with high honors. The younger one graduated with numerous medals for sports, academic and personal achievements. He was also named homecoming king even though he made no effort to "run" for it. The older boy is now an electrical engineer working for a large, US company. The younger one is studying computer engineering. Both of them also ran their own PC and network repair business while in high school. Their mother is an English professor but their dad, who still commutes from Brazil twice every month, has more difficulty with English.

This family is not very different from most of the Brazilian families I've come to know in Florida. Parents whose jobs expose them to English learn the language in a reasonable time. Children learn to speak, often without even a trace of their old accent, in a short time. Parents whose work and social circles are limited, whether by choice or happenstance, have greater difficulty.

Where we really differ on this is in your belief that the existence of non-English speaking minorities somehow harms the rest of us. IMO it only makes their experience more difficult. Unfortunately, there is no

100% effective solution to the problem. There will always be immigrants -- legal and illegal. Most are just trying to make a better life for themselves. Many contribute to our economy and many of them do great things in and for their adopted country.

The biggest hindrance many of these people face isn't the language. Racial prejudice, political games and crooked business owners are their worst enemies. These are the same people and forces which made your and my ancestors' lives difficult when they arrived here. We should be fighting against them and not with them against immigrants.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

have you try them lately?

yup they did put a good base for you to build on...

If you cant make the difference between making great high quality product,and getting drunk from frelated alcool...fine with me,that would explaina lot of the nonsens i,ve been reading from you...

Yup.i know i am in NA, but i know my roots, i am the 10th generation here,and i am prood that i helped make 2 more generation..

But the thing that made me react is that you stated that we french speaking poeple are a bunch of lazy bastard,well let me tell you,if thats not being a racist i wonder what it can be called?its at a minum zenophobic...

and lets not forget that the kings that ruled the country of your founder,most speaked french,Richard Lion Heart come to mind just like that...

Reply to
Petem

"(PeteCresswell)" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Here it take usually 3 generation before they start being like the rest of us.. having a lot of emigration,that make alot of non English speaking people..

some will integrate in 2 generation,but most don't

Reply to
Petem

"alarman" a écrit dans le message de news: ez81h.5287$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.phx...

Not so sure about that.. of course there will be some tremors,and some dust will come our way,but economically we still have other "client"

Reply to
Petem

Heh, then you are a much bigger fool that I originally thought you were. js

Reply to
alarman

"alarman" a écrit dans le message de news: Rtb1h.54745$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.phx...

don't you think the fool is the one that think the world is revolving around itself?

Reply to
Petem

? js

Reply to
alarman

"alarman" a écrit dans le message de news: qad1h.57779$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.phx...

ok in plain text..the world is not only the USA..we deal with much more country then just yours...was that simple enough?

don't forget that Canada is the 3rd biggest producer of petrol? we do have resource,wish will still worth something even if you go in recession,and a country is buying a lot of those resource..its name..China....

if you don't buy,they will of course they will pay less cause there will be less demand..but still there will be business,and when there is money to do ,we don't care to who we sell the stuff..

p.s. china is close to pass the USA as the country we export the most....too bad you didn't knew that...

Reply to
Petem

Wow. You're dumber than I thought.

js

Reply to
alarman

Milk box? You're too young to have ever seen a milk box.

I don't want to STOP immigration. Just restrain it to acceptable and tolerable quantities. It's the CULTURE that's being distorted because of it. You seem to think that what they are doing is ok .... IT's ILLEGAL.!!! And it's distorting the culture of this country. They're coming into this country with out any restrictions. Look as the quantity of illegals in prison. Look at how schools can't teach the kids because because there arent enough teachers and because the kids can't speak English because only the legal citizens are the only ones paying the way for all the illegal kids. Look at how the hospitals are closing because they have to give free everything to people who haven't and don't contributed to the tax structure. How can this be good for them OR for us?

Sure they were. Doesn't that tell you something? DON'T DO THAT?

That's bullshit and you know it. Sure ...the Europeans came here and worked their asses off for a couple of generations. But they did it legally, paying their way and contributing to our financial and cultural basis. and came in controlled numbers. The difference now is that in our permissive society the Mexicans and South Americans unfortunately have the backing of the ACLU, and all the liberal swill from Hollywood. And in addition, people like you who think more of themselves than what the long term effects of having a great influx of people from other cultures swarming uncontrolably into this county. Read your history man! Just about every great nation, just before it's fall either allowed or didn't control a great flood of another culture into it's boarders. A country just can't do that and expect that it's culture will survive. And without it's culture what is a nation? ANOTHER NATION!

We've got something that is unique in history in this nation. It's absolutely amazing to me, that we've come to the point where we're letting our belief in freedom destroy us.

Oh? are you talking about doing it legally now? Control the kind of people that come here? The quantity? How unique!!!!!

Oh gimmie a f****ng break. Sure. And that same person might be some Aye Rab, coming across the boarder with a suitcase full of botulism to put in the NY reservoir.

Who the hell do you think is paying for their Social Security, welfare, their medical and education? I AM! And I don't want to do that. It's wrong and they don't deserve to get for free what I've worked a lifetime for.

Yeah lets do it. Who the hell ever said that it's alright for someone who has never contributed a damn thing to this country to come here and take, without giving anything back .... what I've worked a lifetime to help build?

If it wasn't for the f****ng "politically correct" assholes who think that everyone "DESERVES" to come to this country and not pay a price. How about that ACLU? (Did you know that the ACLU was based on a communistic and gay rights foundation? How's that for a combination?) If it wasn't for all the Hollywood rich pricks who think they know how to run a country but can't run they're own f****ng lives. If it wasn't for all the chicken shit politicians who think more of getting the Hispanic vote than the betterment or our country, we wouldn't even be in this position now. If it wasn't for the f****ng conservitives who didn't see this coming.

This was ignored for years and years and now that it's gotten to the state it's in now, everyone is crying about how we cant' turn poor people away from coming here, if they want to. WHY THE FUCK NOT? So what are we going to do not turn hundreds of thousands of people away simply because they want to come here? If the want to come here so f****ng bad, let them go through what every other generation of people has gone through. What the f*ck makes THEM so different from every other ethnic group that has come here? This is OUR fault, not theirs. but dammit enough is enough. It's got to end or there'll not be an Amercia that anyone will want to come to

And I hope they kill as many of these f****ng wetbacks in the process. A few well placed land mines ought to do the trick.

When they come around to the front door of this country, knock and ask if they can come in and contribute, instead of sucking money in services that I'VE paid for and sending their paycheck back to Mexico to support

that mismanaged bandit country .... then I'll feel different.

I don't see anywhere on that statue where it says ....HEY, Come and get your free pass, free medical, free education, no taxes, continue to speak your language cus well learn to speak yours and you can send as much money back to your poor economic country at our expense, and you can picket and lobby for everything you want and get it, because you deserve it ..... and we don't even have to know what your name is. Bullshit!

You seem to think that if these people weren't here that there would be jobs that would go unfilled. You're wrong. I mean, just think about it. Every one says that Amercans wont work for the low wages that the illegals work for. So what do you think .... that the cabbage growers wouldn't get someone else to do it if the illegals weren't here? So you think they'd simply go out of business and stop growing cabbage? Yeah sure. What would YOU do? You'd go out and get the cheapest labor you could and then you'd adjust your price to what ever it took to keep your business growing. And so would every other cabbage grower.And the public would pay the price. So don't give me that shit about these illegals supporting the economy. This is just the way a capitalistic society works. No big f****ng mystery. You charge and pay what the market will bear. How many times have you paid double the price for coffee or orange juice because of a labor or weather problem? How about gas prices? The economy will take care of itself, without having to make up false claims about how illegals help the economy. That's just making another excuse for the previous excuse for making the mistake of letting them into this country illegally in the first place.

I have to disagree with you there also. Everyplace that I've gone, that they predomintate, they've compeletly trashed the area. There's garbage everywhere, trash litters the areas. They treat it just the way they lived back where they came from. That's just the way they lived where they were and they're used to it being that way. It's not because they're bad people .... they just don't know any better. But they continue to do this and the reason why? Because they are not being assimilated into the culture. Where ever they are, since they don't have to learn to speak English, they're isolated in their surroundings and can't get services or goods that they need out side of their isolated communities.They're isolated and are doing the very same things they did where they came from. So how is this helping them? How is this helping the nation and the economy?THIS is just a small sample of and example of how a mass uncontroled influx of another culture can cause the decline of an town, a city, of a nation.

There's no reason to keep people of other countries and ethnicity from coming into our country because that diversity IS our nation. But it absolutely HAS to be controlled. Otherwise our culture and all the things that have brought this nation to bear, will be lost in generations to come.

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Everywhere Man

"alarman" a écrit dans le message de news: zBo1h.79067$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.phx...

too bad you just don't see the reality of it all...USA is not the economical force it used to be,the world is changing very fast... the dragon is waking up,and it is just starting to move around..

Reply to
Petem

No one cares what you want.

You speaking about culture is the equivalent of George W Bush speaking about a Mensa meeting.

The real problem with schools is two-fold. First, educational funding has been seriously undermined by the Bush adminiwstration. Second, local and state departments of education waste much of the resources they do have.

Hospitals in this country are big business. Whiloe the hospitals "lose money" every year, the inner medical etite that run them rake in multi-million dollar salaries.

No, dummy. It says give them the same chance that your progenetors had so they can become part of this country as well. In a word, kwitchabitchinandshaddup!

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sufferin' succotash! I did taw a puddy tat!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks, I'll pass on the pinata. Send ammunition.

Where was I bitching about them making it hard for me to survive?

Fortunately, no illegal can compete with me legally. As for the other wetbacks, they can't compete for the very reasons I outlined.

This ain't about just me Tom. It's about preserving what's left of American culture, it's about saving the economy, it's about stopping drug trafficking, it's about ruining neighborhoods, it's about stopping crime.

That's not what you wrote.

No Tom, reality is to blame.

I get the feeling you think you are doing the employee a favor by allowing him to shovel shit for you. You got it backwards, count yourself lucky if you can find some willing to put up with your brand of tyranny.

It's a two-way street, a symbiotic relationship. If one thinks he is better than the other, the relationship won't work.

I have a funny feeling I wouldn't like your terms. Times are a changin' bud, you better start getting some respect for those that do your dirty work.

I didn't say anything about the commute to work.

That is complete bullshit. YOU are paying if I am working on YOUR job.

Yes. Either that, or you buy the Suburban instead of the Escalade.

And small potatoes like you love the phrase "My way or the highway".

Hmmmmm... I thought college was for learning to do stuff.

He'll have a job handed to him on a silver platter because you won't have it any other way.

I've never collected unemployment or welfare, who the f*ck do you think you're talking to?

Actually it's an employees market right now (for our trade), employers are scrambling to find qualified technicians. I get emails from headhunters all the time.

GIVE, GIVE, GIVE, MY ASS!!

THEY NEED TO EARN IT LIKE OUR ANCESTORS DID.

Uh huh.

When is your birthday?

So, let them shovel your shit so you can exploit them?

Nice, Tom, nice.

My dad would contribute to fixing the problem in his own f****ng country rather than leech and steal from another.

Reply to
G. Morgan

This from the man who a few months ago wanted to go over to Israel and kill a Jew...

Reply to
Mark Leuck

When did he say that?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.