Press "1" for English

Called Nextel/Sprint 411 for a phone number. The first thing the recording says is "press '1' for English".

Why the f*ck do I have to press *anything* to get an English speaker?

What country is this? When are you bastards going to stop electing officials that are giving the USA away? I'm not a Bush fan by any means, but today he signed the Fence Act, the first sign of ballseyness since he decided to kill 2000+ US troops for no reason.

And while I'm at it, the terrorists HAVE won:

Comedy Central is too afraid to show Mohammad's image on South Park.

formatting link

BBC reports: "Nearly everyone at the summit, including the show's actual producer and the BBC's head of drama, Alan Yentob, agreed they could all be thrown into the bin, except the Koran for fear of offending Muslims."

formatting link

And whatever else I think of later...

So f*ck all you for turning my country into shit.

Reply to
G. Morgan
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

formatting link

Yeah. It's too late though. Not enough men in government now. I don't mind that they're crooks so much, I just wish that they had some balls.

Who said this: "If I had inherited the mess that Johnson got into, I would have said to North Vietnam, by dropping leaflets out of B-52s, 'You quit the war in three days or the next time these babies come over they're going to drop some big bombs on you.' And I'd make a swamp out of North Vietnam ... I'd rather kill a hell of a lot of North Vietnamese than one American and we've lost enough of them,"

and this: "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution or that have failed their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is ``needed'' before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents "interests,'' I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can."

and of course: "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

I wonder where we would be if he had been elected president in 1964 instead of LBJ. js

Reply to
alarman

Probably for the same reason why "Cantonese" is "2" on the queue for Shaw Cable and "French" is "3"... It's the fur-in-ohrs, Otis. They's takin' ovah.

Brazil?

My understanding is that "they're" buying and "you're" selling. I don't think anyone's givin' anything away except for them guys over at the Ademco counter (and I hardly think free screwdrivers means the end-of-all-things-as-we-know-it).

There's quite a few Canadian, British, Spanish, and Italian personnel too (to name a few more countries). The reason for going to Iraq was all a sham, but now that we're there, let's show them just how much worse a democratically elected President can screw things up.

Not on your Nelly they haven't. We've just deployed some additional "security devices" to ensure we don't get "robbed". Don't you "upgrade" your security system when a weakness becomes apparent??

Reply to
Frank Olson

That's pretty much what Native Americans have been saying for hundreds of years.

Whatever floats your boat.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Per Robert L Bass:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- When NASA was preparing for the Apollo Project, it took the astronauts to a Navajo reservation in Arizona for training. One day, a Navajo elder and his son came across the space crew walking among the rocks.

The elder, who spoke only Navajo, asked a question. His son translated for the NASA people: "What are these guys in the big suits doing?"

One of the astronauts said that they were practicing for a trip to the moon.

When his son relayed this comment the Navajo elder got all excited and asked if it would be possible to give to the astronauts a message to deliver to the moon.

Recognizing a promotional opportunity when he saw one, a NASA official accompanying the astronauts said, "Why certainly!" and told an underling to get a tape recorder .

The Navajo elder's comments into the microphone were brief.

The NASA official asked the son if he would translate what his father had said. The son listened to the recording and laughed uproariously. But he refused to translate. So the NASA people took the tape to a nearby Navajo village and played it for other members of the tribe. They too laughed long and loudly but also refused to translate the elder's message to the moon.

Finally, an official government translator was summoned.

After he finally stopped laughing the translator relayed the message: "Watch out for these pricks. They have come to steal your land."

-------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Screw 'em they lost the war. We will lose this one if we don't find some cajones.

| | That's pretty much what Native Americans have been saying for hundreds of years. | | > Yeah. It's too late though. Not enough men in | > government now. I don't mind that they're crooks | > so much, I just wish that they had some balls. | | Whatever floats your boat. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

More pc bullshit. You don't get choices like that in any other country...at least not the ones I've been to. You learn the language of the country, sink or swim.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I was in Stratford Upon Avon a couple of months ago, there was a sign by one of the canal locks documenting the history of the canal. It was in German and Japanese only.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

the canal locks

Hah....my home territory! There used to be a sign there that was also written in "American english"...had to be removed because no-one could understand it...something to do with missing vowels?

Reply to
coord

of the canal locks

written in "American

do with missing

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Sure you do. Canadian firms frewquently have options for French or English. Brazilian firms often offer Portuguese, English and Spanish. It all depends on what their target audience is. If they want to do business with people who don't speak English (note: their money is the same color as that currently used by Navajos), they provide the options.

What amazes me is that there are people dumb as Cracker who think this is a problem for them. It goes to show how ignorant he is.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I told you that you shouldn't post while you are on drugs, your slurring your words!

a problem for them. >It goes to show how ignorant he is.

You didn't take time to ask him what countries he has been to. He specifically said in his post, "at least not the ones I've been to." We should start calling you "quick draw."

Having a travel agency, I have had the good fortune to travel quite extensively. The general population of most foreign speaking countries either do not or choose to not speak english. Businesses that want to do business with english speaking companies will make the effort. Although english is taught in most schools, between their culture and the fact that they leave school at a very early age, what little english they have learned leaves them quickly when they never have the opportunity to leave their communitys. The kids, still in school, will speak in english, if asked to, and even translate for their parents. I can just see you down there trying to talk to all the little boys of Brazil. By the way, why is it that you never responded back to me when I posted to you in Portuguese? You staying at an all english compound down there, and haven't learned the language? Letting your wife do all the translating? Hey hey hey, we're back to some good ole kicks and giggles or do you have me back on ignore already? :o]

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Never been to Canada, Crash? Learn the language, sink or swim? hahahahahahahahahaha, that's rich

Reply to
mikey

who needs all those extra letters that aren't even pronounced?!

| > Doug | >

| > -- | >

| | Hah....my home territory! There used to be a sign there that was also written in "American | english"...had to be removed because no-one could understand it...something to do with missing | vowels? | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

That's because canooks speak both languages...but, do they offer a choice for Spanish?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

yah been there...they don't count because they can't decide what lang. to speak...must be the frigid temps or something.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Not so easy to f*** all of us and not so easy to turn a great country into s***.

Calm down and count your blessings. You could have been born in Africa in a region where genocide is practiced and you were on the receiving end.

November 7 is your chance to say something that could matter.

It's only as bad as you think it is.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

USNET is a text medium. One can't "slur" one's words although you do show a propensity to post slurs.

Note: I can spell. I just can't tpye.

Although I was replying to Crash, I was referring to Cracker regarding ignorance. Everyone knows he's never been anywhere.

I believe that is what I said.

The only "little boys" from Brazil whom I know are a few of my nephiews. I speak just enough Portugues to get by but I'm nowhere near fluent yet. When I'm there for more than a few weeks my skills get better.

I don't recall the post. Resend it and I'll try to answer you.

Nope. Our second home is a condo in a Portugues speaking neighborhood. Some of my wife's family speak a little English but most don't. We have a lot of Brazilian friends and family members who live near us in the USA, too. Most of them speak fair to good English. One is a college English professor. She teaches ESL to immigrants. She speaks fluent Portuguese, English, Spanish, Italian and French. Her English grmmar is better than many Americans.

I have a brother-in-law who speaks Portuguese, English, French, German and (if I recall correctly) Italian. We're all planning to take a trip to Spain, Portugal, Italy and England sometime in the next year or two -- probably about 6 weeks total. That will be a challenge for me since my Spanish is a little rusty and I don't speak French or Italian. Fortunately, Italian is closer to Portugues than most other romance languages so I should be able to at least understand somewhat.

Nah. I usually end up translating more for her than the other way around. Her English has improved a lot in our five years together though her accent is very strong, making it difficult for some folks to understand her. We speak about 50/50 English/Portuguese at home. When we're visiting Brazilian friends we try to speak exclusively Portuguese but it's a challenge for me.

Nope. As long as you don't get too nasty you're in view. If I get bored with your BS I'll simply bozo-bin you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I'm still curious why this bothers anyone. If a company wants to do business with Hispanics (or Tibetan monks for that matter), what difference does it make to us? Press [1] or stay on the line and the auto-attendant stays in English. Big deal!

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Wow, I didn't know that about Goldwater. Wouldn't have mattered as I wasn't born yet.

That's a damn good question. I've always looked back at Johnson's presidency as a complete failure and a crucial turning point for our country. Of course Nixon was no better.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.