Re: FCC Gives Blessing to Sprint, Nextel Marriage

> Actually, this is good for Sprint PCS which has been in the pits. The

>> benefit to Nextel is illusive. It's more than likely Sprint PCS had >> more designs on spectrum than any real benefit to Nextel. > Perhaps, but both companies will end up combining spectrum - there are > towers where Nextel has antennas but Sprint doesn't, &c.

Unlikely, since Sprint is PCS 1900 and Nextel is iDen 800, different bands, different technologies, different antennas. I can report that our shiny new water tower has separate antennas for Sprint and Nextel, each paying separate rent.

Nextel probably figured Sprint was a good partner since (as I > understand it) they're dumping iDen for a CDMA-based platform, > long-term.

That's the point, iDen doesn't provide an upgrade path to spiffy digital services. I wonder whether they're going to move to CDMA in the 800 band that Nextel uses or run the networks in parallel forever or what. They're surely not going to abandon the iDen band, since they paid so much for them and 800 propagates a lot better than 1900.

Regards,

John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 330 5711 snipped-for-privacy@iecc.com, Mayor,

formatting link
Member, Provisional board, Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail

Reply to
John Levine
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.