Press "1" for English

Post editing is not nice, Frank.

And we're lettin' um.

Good God.

I think it's more the Mexicoons are stealin' and we're tuning the other cheek. I'm so sick of far leftie liberals like bAss saying it's OK for them to break the to come over here for a better life. On the same token I sick of far right GOP's ignoring the problem because they want their lawns mowed cheaply. No increase for the minimum wage in a decade, it's $5.35 per hour here in the US a wage no one can live on. Yet--> GOP Members of Congress (whom have voted down numerous bills increasing the minimum wage) in the same time period have voted themselves pay raises totaling close to 24% from 1996 to 2006. The salary for a congressman in 1996 was $133,600, today it's $165,200. The GOP majority thinks they can act impuntatively, they are in for a huge wake-up call in a few days.

That's another thing that burns me up, Bush boldly LIED to the American citizens about the reasons for invading Iraq. Now the one who really was working on WMD's, HAS THEM AND TESTED THEM. Thanks, Bush -- I'm sure your daddy is proud.

That's just plain stupid. That's like those jerks saying stuff like "thank God Bush was in office during 9/11", implying Gore would have sent Afganastan a dozen roses and a box of chocolates.

Huh?

Reply to
G. Morgan
Loading thread data ...

Exactly, why are most so afraid to say what they 'really' think? This PC bullshit is gotten this country nowhere. It's time to tell it like it is.

Our PC legislators have continuously shot down legislation to name English as the official language. Wonder why? (that's just a rhetorical question).

Reply to
G. Morgan

That's true. The USA is still the greatest country in the world as far as I'm concerned, I hate watching her being destroyed slowly.

Exactly.

From where I sit it's pretty bad.

Reply to
G. Morgan

It probably read, "If you can read this, thank a Brit."

Reply to
G. Morgan

Were they the ones that were kidnapped in your fairy tale you posted years ago?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Pfffttt what nonsense

Reply to
Mark Leuck

November 8 will be a very good day.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Brazilian firms often offer Portuguese, English and

business with people who don't speak English (note:

the options.

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Did ya listen long enough to hear "Press 2 for Broken English"?

Reply to
Ratchet442

Tonne and Ton refer to different weights, tonne normally refers to a metric ton which is 2204lbs , ton can refer to the Imperial Ton which is a manly

2240lbs or the rather puny US or short ton which weighs in at a mere 2000lbs.

Not content with f****ng up a perfectly good language, apparently Imperial weights and measures weren't good enough either, an Imperial gallon is about

20% larger than a US gallon, consequently when ordering a pint of beer in the US you get shorted, which on reflection probably isn't a bad thing, and of course the US inch is a third shorter that the Imperial inch.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Brazilian firms often offer Portuguese, English and

do business with people who don't speak English (note:

provide the options.

It's not about whether or not the company wants to offer agents that speak languages other than English. My point was, why do I have to press anything to get English. The default should be English with options for other language speakers to press buttons.

Reply to
G. Morgan

English. Brazilian firms often offer Portuguese, English and

want to do business with people who don't speak English (note:

provide the options. <

My complaint is why don't they offer Mandarin Chinese, Hebrew , Swahili and Danish languages? I mean if you start going down that road....

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You just hate being agreeable. :^)

Native Americans may or may not have been the first people to populate what we now call the USA. But there is no record that they tried to keep anyone else from coming here. By the time Europeans got here, the "Indians" were the native people. We're all newcomers here, except Olson who abandoned the USA many years ago so he doesn't count.

Usually you press [1] so you won't have to listen to the list of other options. Most of the US businesses that offer language options will default to English if you don't press anything. The "Press [1] for English" option is first to save you time. If it's too much trouble pressing a touch-tone button on the phone, feel free to listen to the entire menu.

The default should be whomever is the primary market group of the company you're calling. In most cases that is English. Your

*real* issue is you're a xenophobe and that is likely only because you think it will score you points with the IB. It's got nothing to do with pushing buttons on the phone.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

Per Ratchet442:

The one I heard was

"Press 1 for English. Press 2 to hang up and go learn English."

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

do business with people who don't speak English (note:

provide the options. >

Reply to
Everywhere Man

now call the USA. But there is no record that they

the "Indians" were the native people. We're all

Actually, I didn't "abandon" the USA. I was kidnapped while riding to school in my pram by a couple from Brazil.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Does that make you one of the Boys from Brazil?

Reply to
Steve

Jawohl.

Reply to
Frank Olson

That's what I say about Kuwait!!

Reply to
Karl Magnus

to do business with people who don't speak English (note:

provide the options. > >

The wireless networks they maintain are limited to North America, since Sprint uses PCS technology and Nextel uses iDEN the phones are pretty much useless in the rest of the world, which is mostly GSM (T-Mobile and Cingular use it here). Granted, Sprint has a global IP infrastructure, but that's not what we're talking about.

My state was originally Mexico, yes. And I am the descendant of immigrants, but the two have nothing to do with each other. The thing is, Texas has not been a part of Mexico for about 150 years.

Ah-ha! Now we are getting somewhere.

Of course not, but I'm sure when your family came over they did so legally. They also had full intentions of assimilating into American culture and learning the language, yes?

The problem I see is that the modern day Mexican immigrants have no intention of doing either. In fact, too many times on a Friday when payday is (I guess) you see lines of them at the Western Union counter shipping all that hard earned money back to Mexico. This damages the economy. When it comes full circle, the money most likely goes to coyotes that bring more illegal's over.

This really isn't about a conservative/liberal debate. It's not about discrimination, racism, and all those other nasty words that tend to scare folks away from reasonable discussion of this issue.

I think it boils down to:

1> Enforcing the immigration laws that already exist, so that all immigrants be treated fairly. Just because we share a border with Mexico does not give their citizens any special treatment. 2> Making immigrants WANT to be a part of our society, not just leech from it. I can't tell you how many places I visit daily where NO English speaker is available (often these are customers). Why do I have to adapt? The burden of bridging the language barrier should be on them, not me. This includes ballots written in language other than English too.

As I said, it's the attitude that I witness first hand on a daily basis that makes me angry with this whole border problem. What I see is many of them having a sense of entitlement to come here and set-up camp with no intention of assimilating. They intend to re-take Texas, which was lost to them with The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo some 150 years ago.

I'm not happy that our government has to resort to a fence along the border either. I'm just glad 'something' is being done and the problem is finally center stage.

That came flying out of nowhere! Labor unions are not very popular here, the only union workers I come in contact with are some electricians and phone employees with CWA.

Looking forward to it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.